A source of inspiration through the years
The Queen Anne style Writing House was built in the 1890s for George and Helen Vincent and originally used as a boarding house for students. As the College grew, it encouraged any and all construction of buildings in the village to help accommodate larger enrollment. In 1937 Helen Vincent sold the house to Ruth and Ward Whitcomb. After Ward’s death, Ruth remarried and she and Stanley Freeman rented the house to John E. Shambach, a retired professor of education. Sometime later the house (known for many years as the “Freeman House”) was deeded to the College, and the College continued to rent it to faculty—including English professor Mary Louise Vincent and French professor George Gautier—until 6811 Hinsdale was converted into the Writing House in 2008 thanks to a generous gift from writers Stephen and Jacquelyn Love.
The facility houses the Hiram College Writing Center, classrooms, faculty offices, and a kitchen. Classes and readings are regularly scheduled in the Writing House, and the porch and backyard garden are always available to Hiram College students.