The Hiram Inn: Built in 1824
The story of The Hiram Inn began nearly 200 years ago, when the original structure was built. At that time, what was then known as the Young House was built on land given by Daniel Tilden to his daughter, Lydia, who was married to Thomas Fitch Young. Originally constructed in 1824, with additions built during later years, the Young family eventually transformed their home into the original inn at the present-day site, which was known as Young’s Exchange.
Young’s Exchange provided accommodations to visitors who came to attend commencement ceremonies at what was then the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute. In addition, the Hiram post office was located at the inn, since Thomas Young served as the village’s first postmaster as well as the town clerk. A central structure in the college and village life, the house was also home to four generations of the Young family.
In 1992, Hiram College purchased the house from the estate of Clinton T.J. Young. The Young house is the second oldest home in Hiram. In 1995, Robert F. Merwin and Betty MacKay Merwin of Erie, Pennsylvania, both 1936 graduates of Hiram College, gave a $1.2 million gift to the college to renovate and expand the Young house, creating what became known as The Hiram Inn.
The Hiram Inn closed in 2015, the severe winter weather having taken its toll, leaving peeling paint, faded shutters, and a parking lot in disrepair. But Ed and Jenny Backos, through an agreement with Hiram College, took over the inn. In the fall of 2017, The Hiram Inn began a new chapter, opening its doors to weary travelers.
Staying at The Hiram Inn
For more information about The Hiram Inn, or to make reservations, call 330-569-6000 or email The Hiram Inn at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Hiram Inn is located on the corner of State Route 82 and State Route 700 at 6867 Wakefield Road in Hiram, Ohio, 44234.