Stephens Memorial Observatory
The Stephens Memorial Observatory, erected and dedicated in 1939, is located on Wakefield Road (Route 82), less than a quarter mile west of Route 700 in Hiram, Ohio. It was the gift of Miss Ella Stephens of Cleveland, Ohio, in memory of her parents and brothers.
Prior to 1939, the Observatory had been housed atop the north side of the library, but was moved to its own building after the library fire.
The Stephens Memorial Observatory telescope is a nine-inch refractor made by Warner and Swasey of Cleveland, Ohio. It was presented to Hiram College by Lathrop Cooley, as well as the meridian instrument presented by P.H. Dudley, and dedicated in 1901.
The Stephens Memorial Observatory, now located on Wakefield Road (Route 82), less than a quarter mile west of route 700, offers regular public viewing nights, usually one night per month. There is no parking at the Stephens Memorial Observatory. Visitors may park on permissible side streets near the Hiram Post Office, a short distance east of the Observatory.
Visiting the Stephens Memorial Observatory
Do you have questions about the Stephens Memorial Observatory or attending one of the public viewing nights? The Observatory is located on Wakefield Road (Route 82), less than a quarter mile west of route 700 in Hiram, Ohio.