The Teaching, Research, and Environmental Engagement House is the home of Hiram’s environmental studies program.
This house, built in 1901, underwent a “deep energy retrofit” and reopened in October 2014 as a model of energy efficiency and sustainability. The home features the following sustainable renovations:
- LED lighting
- An insulated concrete form foundation
- Rigid polyiso insulating foam on the exterior
- Dense packed blown-in cellulose in the wall cavities
- Radiant floor heat
- Fiber cement siding
- A water permeable front ramp and steps
- Use of re-purposed materials throughout
To follow the TREE House’s progress, from concept to grand opening, check out the timeline below. For more details about key features of the house, click the links to the left.