Image: Advising students and professor


The goal of advising at Hiram College is to support the whole student, fostering their academic, personal, and professional development over their career at Hiram. Advising here at Hiram is done through a faculty advising model, with all first-year students being guided by a faculty advisor before switching to a major advisor after the declaration of a major in their program of choice. Students who need extra support are assigned a secondary advisor to help ensure they achieve a successful start at Hiram.  

The Academic Advising Office supports Hiram College’s advising system and provides convenient drop-in or online advising support for all students. The staff in the advising office offer more specialized support advising—such as working with transfer students or first-year Nursing students. Even after students have moved to work with a major advisor, the Academic Advising Office is available to answer questions, aid in shifting majors, or for any last-minute help when their major advisor is not available. 


The Academic Advising Office is here to support your development and success during your career at Hiram.

Who Do Students Meet with to Advise for Classes?

Orientation Schedule Counselor

When students officially participate in orientation before their first semester, they will meet with an orientation schedule counselor. Whether the student attends orientation in person on campus or online, they will be provided with an orientation schedule counselor. The primary role of the orientation schedule counselor is to help prepare students for the upcoming first semester. One of the most important duties of the orientation schedule counselor is to register students for the classes they will be taking in their first semester. 

Advising at Hiram College

When a student enters their UCS 10101-Enduring Questions Seminar or UCS 20201-Addressing Urgent Questions Seminar, the course instructor will serve as a faculty mentor for the duration of the 12-week term. The faculty mentors will help guide students in their first semester through the major declaration process or, in the case of undeclared students, connect them with the Academic Advising Office.

Through activities in their Enduring Questions or Addressing Urgent Questions courses and the Common Questions Hour, first-year students will be guided through the major declaration process. By registration, first-year students will have met either with their newly assigned major advisor or with an advisor in the Academic Advising Office.

Additionally, the Academic Advising Office supports all students in their first year. Students who need extra support—such as transfer students or first-year nursing students—are assigned a secondary advisor to assure a successful start at Hiram. These academic advisors inform students of key deadlines and program requirements and coordinate with faculty advisors to assure that no student is neglected.

Advising After Major Declaration

When students declare a major, they are advised by a faculty member from their program of study. Major advisors help students plan their course of study, think through plans for Hiram Connect experiences of internships, independent research, or study away, and prepare for their senior capstone experience.

As students work through and reflect upon declaring their major, they can continue to rely upon advisors in the Academic Advising Office to answer questions, to aid in shifting majors, or for last-minute help when their major advisor is not available.

Professional Academic Advisors

Staff members from the Academic Advising Office also work to support all Hiram students, regardless of whether they’re first-year students or already in an established program. Available to answer questions, or give last-minute or specialized help, the academic advisors are available in their offices in the library or over email. These academic advisors are also available to provide more specialized support—such as support for transfer students, first-year nursing students, or students who are looking to change majors. Some students may be assigned a member of the advising office as a secondary advisor to ensure that a student is provided with the support they need.  

To find your schedule you’ll first need to go to the page. Once there, scroll all the way down to the bottom and look on the left-hand side under Academics. You’ll want to select Student Portal next. Then, on the left-hand side, you’ll see Your Class Schedule. You’ll then be able to select which term you want to see. All the details regarding your class schedule will be listed here including the time, place, and professor.  

To find your advisor you’ll want to start on the page. From there you’ll want to choose the General drop-down menu. There will be an option called Self Service Banner (Web 4) that you’ll want to choose. Once on the Main Menu page you’ll need to select the Student tab at the top of the page. From the Student Services page you’ll choose Student Records. Then select View Student Information. Next, select the current term. After that you’ll be able to find the name of your primary advisor.

All students must declare a major by March 1st during the spring semester of their sophomore year (or before 56 credit hours). If you are not currently declared and would like to speak with someone about how to choose a major try reaching out to your current advisor or to an academic advisor in Student Academic Services.  

However, if you’re ready to declare, here are the steps you’ll need to take to declare your major. 

You’ll need to get a Major Declaration Form. An online copy can be found in Student Portal under Registrar’s Forms called Major/Advisor Declaration. This form can be signed digitally using something like notability and emailed to advisors and the Registrar. A physical copy can be found in the Registrar’s Office, or someone in Student Academic Services can help you print out a form. 

  • Then start speaking to a professor from your prospective major’s department. To declare your major, you’ll need to have a professor from the department as an advisor. Once you’ve spoken with this professor and they’ve agreed to become your advisor you’ll need to have them sign your major declaration form.  
  • During this meeting you may also want to discuss the guidelines for the major’s Connect Declaration Reflection, which will be submitted alongside your declaration. Your prospective major advisor should be able to let you know the specifics surrounding what will required of you. 
  • You’ll also need the name and signature of the School Director. Their name is listed on the form under the school title. Often your prospective advisor can tell you the best way to get in contact with the director. Depending on the protocols for the school or if you have a physical or digital copy, you may need to set up a meeting with them in person or send them a copy of your form via email. 
  • Along with your name, ID, and contact information you’ll need to your current advisor and your expected graduation month and year. If you do not know who your advisor is you can refer to the Academic Advising page for help. You’ll also need to select the purpose of the form and the program you want to enroll in. After you have signed the form, you can either deliver the physical copy to the Registrar’s Office or email your digital copy. 

Much like when you declared your first major, you’ll need to have a discussion with your faculty or major advisor first. Once you and your faculty or major advisor have discussed the decision to take on a second major, you’ll need to begin talking with a faculty member from the prospective major’s department. Because you need to have a major advisor for each major you declare, it is important that you find a professor willing to become your second major advisor. Once you’ve found a major advisor for your prospective second major, you’ll need to complete the major declaration form. Once completed and signed by your new second major advisor you will need to submit the paperwork to the Registrar’s Office. 

Much like when declaring a major, you’ll first want to discuss the decision with your major advisor. Once you’ve discussed your decision, you’ll need to establish contact with a professor in the department of your prospective minor and ask them if they would be willing to be your minor advisor. Once your major advisor and prospective minor advisor have been brought in on the plan, you’ll need to complete the minor declaration form. Then, once the form has been completed and signed by your new minor advisor, the paperwork will need to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. 

The easiest way to search for classes that are currently available would be to look through the schedule. The schedule can be accessed from by clicking on “Class Schedules” in the upper left corner.

If you’re looking for classes that are offered in your major but are not currently available, try looking in the Hiram College Course Catalog.  

To change your advisor, you’ll need to have the proper form. The form you’ll need to use is the same one used to declare your major and is called the Declaration/Change of Major/Advisor form. To find the form online you’ll need to sign in to and then scroll to the bottom of the page and select Student Portal. Once there, you’ll want to look under Registrar Forms. From there scroll until you find the link for the Major/Declaration form, once selected you should be presented with the pdf version of the form you’ll need. 

Changing to your major advisor 

If you are looking to change over to an advisor within the major you plan to declare, you can declare both your major and advisor on the same form. To change to your major advisor, you’ll simply need to list the professor’s name and get their signature for your form.  

Changing your advisor within your major 

If you are looking to change your advisor but are planning to continue under the major you’ve declared, you’ll still need to use the Declaration/Change of Major/Advisor form.  You’ll need to make sure you check the box marked “advisor change only” in the right-hand column under where the student signature will go. Like when you declared your major, you’ll need to list the name of the advisor you’ll be switching to, and you’ll need this advisor to sign your form. 

If you would like to change your advisor within your major, but do not feel comfortable speaking with your current advisor about the topic, you can approach the school or program director. They should be able to help you as you look into changing your advisor. Listed below are the current directors of Hiram’s schools. If you’re uncertain which school your major falls under, you can consult the Declaration/Change of Major/Advisor form. 

Scarborough School of Business and Communication:

Dr. Andrew White 

School of Health, Education, Sustainability & Society:

Dr. Kelly Newvine

School of Science & Technology:

Dr. Nicholas Hirsch  

School of Arts, Humanities, & Politics:

Dr. Janet Pope  

Changing advisor and major 

To change your advisor and your major you’ll need to drop your current major and declare the major you intend to transfer into. To both drop a major and declare a new one, you’ll use the declaration form. For the drop form, you’ll need to check the box in the left-hand column for “Dropping a Major” and you’ll need to list the major you wish to drop. To declare a new major, you’ll need to make sure you have the name and signature of the advisor in the program you intend to join.       

Hiram Connect comprises of four different steps that are founded in meaningful reflection, all occurring during important academic milestones.  

Step 1: Urgent Challenges Seminar 

All first-year students will take an Urgent Challenges Seminar during their first semester.

Step 2: Declaration of Major 

All students must declare their major during (or before) their sophomore year. Students will also be required to complete a reflective essay along with submitting the required documents to declare their major. 

Step 3: Experiential Learning 

Experiential Learning involves making connections between the classroom and the world beyond. Step 3 can be fulfilled through internships, study away, or a guided research project. 

Step 4: Capstone Project 

The Capstone Project is done during your final year and is related to your chosen field of study. After choosing a question or topic you will analyze it and then present your findings. This is seen as a culmination of your academic experience here at Hiram is meant as a reflection of your journey. 

If you are worried about the physical or emotional well-being of a student the Hiram CARE (Coordinated Assistance Resource and Education) team can help. Please refer to their webpage to find out more about what steps you can take. 

This is NOT for emergency response situations. If this is an emergency that involves imminent risk of harm, either to yourself or others, please call 911.  


If you have a question about advising—or even about who your advisor is—stop by the Academic Advising Office or contact us at We would be happy to help you.


Hiram College Library, Suite 222
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

If you have a question about advising—or even about who your advisor is—stop by the Academic Advising Office or contact us at We would be happy to help you.