Winners of the 2013 Barbara Thompson Award for Short Fiction have been announced as the following:
- 1st place: “Salivate” by Nick Sawatsky ’14
- 2nd place: “Promised Land” by Brendan Curtin ’13
- 3rd place: “Gone with Her” by Cara Tompot ’15
- Honorable mention: “Birthing Pains” by Chelsea Beabout ’13
- Honorable mention: “My Four Walls” by Kailee Knight ’15
The Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature hosts the Barbara Thompson Short Fiction writing contest each year with guest judges. This year, noted author and alumna Pamela Schoenewaldt, ’74, who appeared in a convocation on campus in September, judged the competition.
Prizes ranging from $200 to $500 were given for first through third place, and honorable mentions received book prizes.
A special reading celebrating Hiram College’s student writers, including the short fiction contest winners, will take place at 7 p.m. on April 2 in the Pritchard Room of the Library.
[btn link=”http://www.hiram.edu/lindsaycrane” color=”grey” size=”size-m”]Learn more about the Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature.[/btn]