Steven Romberger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Chemistry, Coordinator of Biochemistry Major
Steven Romberger is an Associate Professor of Chemistry and Coordinator of the Biochemistry major. He teaches courses in biochemistry, analytical chemistry, and the first-year program. His research focuses on studying the biochemistry of photosynthesis in unusual organisms. Of particular interest are the poorly understood heliobacteria. He maintains an active research group with several undergraduate collaborators. When not in the laboratory, he can likely be found at the dog park with his wife Stacy and cattle dog Lily or hiking the trails throughout Northeast Ohio.
- Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University
- B.S., Susquehanna University
Dr. Romberger’s research group focuses on studying non-traditional forms of photosynthesis. Of particular interest are the heliobacteria, a family of bacteria that, unlike traditional photosynthetic organisms, neither generate oxygen nor convert carbon dioxide into sugar. Their goal is to expand our understanding of photosynthesis so that we may better leverage nature’s 3.5 billion years of experience in light-driven technologies to solve the technological issues of our own time.
- Steven P. Romberger and John H. Golbeck (2012), “The FX iron-sulfur cluster serves as the terminal bound electron acceptor in heliobacterial reaction centers.” Photosynthesis Research, 111(3), 285 – 290.
- Josephine Sarrou, Zahid Khan, John Cowgill, Su Lin, Daniel Brune, Steven P. Romberger, John H. Golbeck and Kevin E. Redding (2012), “Purification of the photosynthetic reaction center from Heliobacterium modesticaldum.” Photosynthesis Research,111(3), 291 – 302.
- Yusuke Tsukatani, Steven P. Romberger, John H. Golbeck and Donald A. Bryant (2012), “Isolation and characterization of a homodimeric type-I reaction center complex from Candidatus Chloracidobacterium thermophilum, an aerobic chlorophototroph.” Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287(8), 5720-5732.
- Amaya M. Garcia Costas, Yusuke Tsukatani, Steven P. Romberger, Gert T. Oostergetel, Egbert J.Boekema, John H. Golbeck, Donald A. Bryant (2011), “Ultrastructural analysis and identification of envelope proteins of “Candidatus Chloracidobacterium thermophilum” chlorosomes.” Journal of Bacteriology, 193, 6701-6711.
- Steven P. Romberger, Christian Castro, Yili Sun and John H. Golbeck (2010), “Identification and characterization of PshBII, a second FA/FB – containing polypeptide in the photosynthetic reaction center of Heliobacterium modesticaldum.” Photosynthesis Research, 104, 293 – 304.