Merose Hwang is an Associate Professor of History and the Coordinator for the Asian Studies Minor and Peace Corps Preparatory Programs at Hiram College. She has held positions as a research fellow at the Institute for Korean Studies, Yonsei University and a Visiting Scholar at the Institute for the Study of Religion, Sogang University, in Seoul, South Korea. She has received grants and awards from the National Endowment for the Humanities, Kathryn W. Davis Fellowship for Peace, Connaught Fellowship, Samsung Fellowship, the Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies, and has been a three-time fellowship recipient of the Korea Foundation.
- B.A., University of Colorado at Boulder, USA
- M.A., Yonsei University, Republic of Korea
- PH.D., University of Toronto, Canada
Her areas of interest include 19th and 20th century East Asian social, cultural, and gender history. Merose’s research area includes history of print media discourse on shamanism in colonial Korea. Her current book project is on the history of superstition in Korean popular imagination.
- Hwang, Merose. “Teaching Non-Violence through Asian History: An Evaluation of the North Korean Threat,” for Centering Korea in the Undergraduate Curriculum, edited by Michael Sprunger, (ASIANetwork Exchange special issue, under review).
- Hwang, Merose. “Transgendering Shamans: A 1927 Historical Revisionist Project by Ch’oe Nam-sŏn and Yi Nŭng-hwa.” In Queer Korea, edited by Todd Henry, San Diego: Transnational Korean Studies, University of California, San Diego (Duke University Press, 2020): 55-89.
- Hwang, Merose. “Shamanism in Korean History,” interview for Korea and the World Podcast on February 14, 2018, hosted by Maël Alan van Beek and Creative Commons, published on October 27, 2018. https://www.koreaandtheworld.org/merose-hwang/
- Hwang, Merose. “The Asian Motherhood Stigma: A Historical Glance at Embedded Women’s Practices in Korean Colonial Media.” East Asian Motherhood: Politics and Practices, edited by Patti Duncan and Gina Wong. Toronto: Demeter Press, August, 2014.
- Hwang, Merose. “Shamans and Superstitious Mothers: Modern Healthcare Discourse in 1920s-30s Korea.” Asian Journal of Women’s Studies 18, no. 1. Ehwa Women’s University Press (2012): 30-61.
- Perfected recipe for Caldo Verde
- Avid hiker