Louis Oliphant, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Louis Oliphant is an associate professor and chair of the Computer Science Department at Hiram College where he has served since 2009. His research interests include machine learning, bioinformatics and undergraduate computer science education. He is involved in developing tools to aid in both the computer science and the bioinformatics classroom. He has supervised numerous undergraduate research projects and had students present their research at several conferences including ACM SIGCSE conference and the Ohio Celebration of Women in Computing.
- B.A., Brigham Young University
- M.S., University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin – Madison
Dr. Oliphant’s research is in the area of machine learning and bioinformatics. These fields seeks to find patterns and new insights in biological data. He also develops tools for use in both the computer science as well as the bioinformatics classroom.
- Oliphant, Louis, Nicola Pedretti, & Matthew Pozderac. “Speeding up Sequence Alignment for MetaGenomic Clustering using Early Stopping.” Poster presented at RECOMB 2014 (18th International Conference on Research in Computational Molecular Biology), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, April 2-5, 2014.
- Slater, Steven, Joãn C. Setubal, Brad Goodner, Kathryn Houmiel, Jian Sun, Rajinder Kaul, Barry S. Goldman, Stephen K. Farrand, Nalvo Almedia Jr., Thomas Burr, Eugene Nester, David M. Rhoads, Ryosuke Kadoi, Trucian Ostheimer, Nicole Pride, Allison Sabo, Erin Henry, Erin Telepak, Lindsey Cromes, Alana Harkleroad, Louis Oliphant, Phil Pratt-Szegilz, Roy Welch, Derek Wood. “Reconciliation of Sequence Data and Updated Annotation of the Genome of Agrobacterium tumefaciens C58, and Distribution of a Linear Chromosome in the Genus Agrobacterium.” Applied and Environmental Microbiology 79, no. 4 (February 2013): 1414-1417. DOI: 10.1128/AEM.03192-12
- Pedretti, Nicola, Matthew Pozderac, & Louis Oliphant. “Semi-Global Alignment with Early Stopping.” Paper presented at the Midstates Conference for Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics, Ohio Wesleyan Univeristy, November 16, 2013.
- Oliphant, Louis, Fichter, Joel, & Benedict, Michael. “VirtuaForest: A Tool for Simple and Versatile Tree Data Visualization.” 2011. http://personal.denison.edu/~lalla/MCURCSM2011/8.pdf