José R. Torres-Ramos is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Arts, Humanities, and Culture at Hiram College where he teaches courses in ethnomusicology, film studies, urgent challenges, and conducts popular music ensembles. He received his PhD in ethnomusicology from the University of North Texas and his research focuses on Latin America with a specialization on Mexico’s modern mariachi tradition. He was awarded a Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Award (DDRA) Fellowship in 2017, which funded his dissertation fieldwork in Mexico City and Guadalajara. His scholarship has been presented and published in both the United States and Mexico. Dr. Torres is currently working on a manuscript entitled, “Mariachismo: Music, Machismo, and Mexicanidad.”
- Ph.D., Ethnomusicology, University of North Texas
- M.A., History, University of Texas San Antonio
- B.A., History and Music Education, University of Texas San Antonio
Latin American music and culture, with a special focus on mariachi teaching, learning, and research. Dr. Torres is currently working on a book manuscript based on his dissertation research, entitled, “Mariachismo: Music, Machismo, and Mexicanidad.”
- 2020. “Incorporando Mariachismo: Una Fenomenología del Gesto Musical.” In Los Sentidos del Cuerpo: El Giro Sensorial en la Investigación Social y los Estudios de Género. Mexico City: Centro de Investigaciones y Estudios de Género (CIEG), UNAM.
- 2018. “Plaza Garibaldi Lugar de Machismo Musical.” In Del Mariache al Mariachi, Música y Músicos. Zapopan: El Colegio de Jalisco, Secretaría de Cultura del Estado de Jalisco.
- 2017. “Vicente Fernández: Dimensiones Masculinas Dentro del Mariachi Moderno,” In El Mariachi: Bailes y Huellas. Zapopan: El Colegio de Jalisco, Secretaría de Cultura del Estado de Jalisco.
- 2014. “The Mariachi Tradition in Nochistlán.” In Proceedings of the American Musicological Society Southwest Chapter 3, Spring.
José enjoys racquetball and being active. He is also an avid comic book fan. He also performs as a mariachi musician professionally.