Dr. Shuster has been teaching for a number of years and is employed as an adjunct instructor in psychology, statistics, research methods and public health for several local colleges and universities. She also consults for the Ohio Department of Health and Ohio State Patrol as a legislative policy writer. In addition, Dr. Shuster serves as a subject matter expert for psychology, statistics, research methods and health curriculum development for a number of educational textbook publishers and curriculum development organizations.
- Ph.D., Public Health, Health Policy Management, Kent State University, 2018
- M.P.H., Public Health, Health Policy Management, Kent State University, 2012
- M.A., Experimental Psychology, Cleveland State University, 2011
- B.A., Psychology, Kent State University, 2008
Dr. Shuster received her undergraduate degree in psychology from Kent State University followed by her masters in Experimental Psychology at Cleveland State University. She then returned to Kent State University to complete her Master’s and Doctorate in Public Health with a focus in Health Policy Management. Her research interests include traumatic brain injury, sleep deprivation, distracted driving, injury prevention and the public policy governing these public health issues.
- Shuster, J. L. (2018). Exploring the impact of texting while driving text ban laws in Ohio and Pennsylvania: A case study (Doctoral Dissertation). Available from
- Riechers, R. G., Shuster, J. L., Bryan, K.J., Burant, C., & Ball, S. L. (2013). Prior housing conditions and sleep loss may affect recovery from brain injury in rats: A pilot study. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 50(4), 455- 462. Available from http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/2013/504/riechers504.html
- Shuster, J. L. (2011). Recovery of sensorimotor function in rats following acute rapid eye movement sleep
deprivation and controlled cortical impact (Master’s Thesis). Available from http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=csu1301676196
Dr. Shuster is an avid crafter and often custom designs cross stitch and beaded sculptures in her downtime. She has won several awards for her custom designs and creations.