Hiram College

Sign Up for Housing

New students must complete the Residential (on campus) or the Commuter (off campus) contract  indicating whether they will be living on campus or commuting.

For students choosing to live on campus

Part of the $200 deposit you make to Hiram is for your housing deposit. Any damages or fines in your residence hall would first be taken out of this deposit. Any funds remaining would be available for refund within a reasonable amount of time after moving out of your room.

To request a room on campus students must complete the online Residential Housing Contract available on the Post-Orientation Checklist page of the New Student Experience website. This form consists of a variety of questions that will help our office make the best possible roommate match. All new incoming students will be assigned a roommate and will reside in a standard double room.  Assignments are based upon the information provided in the Housing Contract.  

Students may request to live with a specific student by including that student’s name on the Housing Contract. Both students will need to request each other on their own housing contract. First-year students are placed with first-year students and are unable to live with upperclassmen during the first semester.

For students choosing not to live on campus

Students that wish to commute to campus will need to meet at least one of the following exceptions:

  • The student will commute from the primary residence of a parent and/or legal guardian within a 30 mile radius of the Hiram College campus.
  • The student is married and/or has legal dependents.
  • The student is 23 years of age or older.
  • The student has a physical condition that our residence halls cannot accommodate and has notified our Health Center of these conditions.
  • The student is enrolled as a part-time student

Students will need to complete the online Commuter Housing Contract to be approved for commuter status. This form is available on the Post-Orientation Checklist page of the New Student Experience website.  Students that do not meet any of the above exceptions but wish to be a commuter should contact the Residential Education Office at 330.569.5232. Requests will be reviewed and decisions will be emailed to the student.


Special/Medical Accommodation Housing Process

If you are a student with a disability or special need, contact Dr. Feisthamel, Director of Counseling, Health and Disability Services (FeisthamelKP@hiram.edu or 330.569.5418).  All accommodation requests relating to a disability must have current supporting documentation from an appropriate professional containing a diagnosis, current functional limitations of the disability or condition in a community living environment, and suggested recommendations for environmental modification. When this information has been reviewed, the Coordinator of Student Disability Services will provide the Residential Education Office with housing recommendations. Review the timeline to verify important dates relevant to this process.