Emergency Alert: Hiram College will be closed today, November 16, 2018, due to no electricity. Classes are cancelled.
Hiram Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was formed in the early 1820's as part of a congregation that eventually planted three churches in northeast Portage County. The need for qualified pastors in the Western Reserve led to Campbell-Stone churches in northeast Ohio to form a college to train pastors. The Hiram Christian Church convinced the association to set the College across the street from the Church, and Hiram College was founded in 1850 as the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute by the Disciples of Christ (D.O.C.). The two have worked as partners in education and faith ever since, and continue to seek ways to partner to strengthen each other in the 21st century. Today, the Christian Church is deeply rooted in the northeast Ohio area, with over 65 congregations within a 35 mile radius of Hiram College.