Hiram College


Whether you need transportation to the bank in Garrettsville, Walmart, a doctor’s appointment, or to the airport, you need to know the different options available to you.

Some of the transportation options include:

  • Campus-sponsored trips – often for shopping at various malls and stores
  • PARTA Dial-A-Ride– for destinations within Portage County only
    • Service FROM Hiram on Mondays and Wednesdays
    • Must be pre-registered by calling 330-678-1287
    • $6 fare each way (Exact amount needed, drivers do not carry change)
    • Transportation requests must be made 1-3 days in advance
  • PARTA(Windham-Garrettsville)
    • Monday through Friday
    • $1 fare each way (Exact amount needed, drivers do not carry change)
    • Helpful for destinations in Garrettsville or Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna
  • Office of Residential Education

Travel Outside the U.S.

Whenever you leave the U.S. for a temporary trip, the Office for International Student Services takes great care to be sure that you have all of the documents and signatures you need to return to Hiram College.  When planning your travels,  the best practice is to ALWAYS meet with the International Student Advisor sufficiently in advance of your departure (at least one week). We will check to see if you will need to apply for a new visa before you return and if there are any reasons why you may have difficulty in obtaining a new visa. It is very important to us that you have a good trip and that you have minimal difficulties when you return to the U.S.

When meeting with the advisor regarding travel, please bring the following:

When you return to the U.S., please provide a copy of your new visa stamp, if you obtained a new visa during your trip.

Re-Entry to the U.S.

What are the basic requirements for an F-1 student to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad for five months or less?

  • SEVIS Form I-20 (signed for travel within the past 1 year)
  • Passport (valid for at least 6 months)
  • Unexpired F-1 visa (unless you are traveling to a contiguous country or adjacent island for less than 30 days)

Other recommended items include:

  • Evidence of financial resources sufficient to cover tuition and living expenses
  • Evidence of student status such as tuition receipts, transcripts, or letter of acceptance
  • Paper receipt of the SEVIS fee (if applicable). To find out if you are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee, please speak with the International Student Advisor or read the SEVIS I-901 FAQs available online.
  • Name and contact information of the International Student Advisor

Students on Optional Practical Training must travel with the following items:

  • SEVIS Form I-20 (signed for travel within the past 6 months)
  • Passport (valid for at least 6 months)
  • Unexpired F-1 Visa
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD card)
  • Letter from your employer verifying current employment

Tips from the U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Services

  • Hand carry all documents. DO NOT CHECK THEM IN YOUR LUGGAGE.
  • Inform the CBP Officer at the Port of Entry that you are a new or returning student or exchange visitor in the United States
  • Report to Hiram College upon arrival so that the DSO/International Student Advisor can make photocopies of your travel documents.
  • Maintain contact with the DSO/International Student Advisor throughout your stay to ensure that your SEVIS data is updated and accurate

For more information, please read the USCIS Travel FAQS and make an appointment to speak with the International Student Advisor.