If you plan to engage in CPT, you should discuss your plans at least two weeks in advance with the International Student Advisor.
Eligibility for CPT
As an F-1 student, you may engage in CPT if you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You have been lawfully enrolled in school full-time for at least one full academic year.
- Your proposed training is directly related to your major/minor field of study.
- Your academic program requires an internship experience OR you will earn college credit toward your major from your training experience.
- You meet criteria of eligibility proposed by your academic department (e.g. class standing, minimum GPA).
Applying for CPT
- Check that the major stated on your I-20 is correct and matches the major declared with the Hiram College Registrar. If your major is incorrect, you will need a new I-20. Please see the International Student Advisor for details. Allow sufficient time to process the change of program on your I-20.
- Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor to discuss your eligibility and the application requirements for CPT.
- Meet with your Faculty Advisor regarding departmental internship requirements.
- Secure an internship opportunity through your academic department, Career Services, or on your own efforts.
- Request an internship offer letter from your internship site supervisor. The letter must include:
- Your name,
- Job title,
- A brief description of your proposed duties,
- Beginning date of training (this date must be a future date),
- Ending date of training,
- Hours per week (full time or part-time),
- Location of employment (street address, city, and state),
- Name and contact information for the employer (supervisor’s business card is preferred)
- Printed on letterhead and containing an original signature.
- Meet with your Faculty Advisor to complete the Curricular Practical Training Recommendation Form and course add slip.
- Register for the designated departmental course and request a photocopy of the signed add slip.
- Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor and bring the following items:
- CPT Recommendation Form
- Internship Offer Letter
- Photocopy of the course registration form
- Internship course syllabus or course description from your department
- Prior I-20’s and passport
When all documentation is in order, you will receive a new I-20 with the CPT authorization on page 2.
Please note: You may not begin employment until the Form I-20 with CPT authorization is in your hand.
While participating in CPT
- CPT is authorized one semester at a time to verify continued eligibility.
- Do not begin training until your I-20 is endorsed and in your hand.
- You are authorized to work only with the company, at the location, and during the dates stated on page 2 of your I-20. If any of these details will change, you and your faculty advisor must notify the International Student Services office in writing to alter the conditions of your authorization. Your Form I-20 must be updated and in your hands, BEFORE you may begin training under the new parameters.
- Withdrawing or dropping credits that are tied to CPT authorization immediately voids the CPT authorization.
- You are still in F-1 student status while on CPT and must continue to notify the International Student Services office of changes to your address, program, or financial information.
- You may travel into and out of the US while on CPT provided you have your I-20 signed by the International Student Advisor each semester.
Please note: If you participate in 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are NOT eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) following graduation.