Hiram College

F-1 Student Employment Options

International students who hold an F-1 visa are eligible to work on campus at Hiram College.  However, there are regulations governing on campus employment and it is the students responsibility to understand and abide by these regulations.

On-Campus Employment

To be eligible for on-campus employment, students must:

  • Be in good academic standing
  • Continue to engage in a full course of study, except for official school breaks and the student’s annual vacation

In order to maintain lawful status in the U.S., students who hold an F-1 visa must:

  • Limit on-campus work hours to NO MORE than 20 hours per week while school is in session.  During the winter and summer breaks, students are eligible for full-time work on campus
  • Complete all paperwork required for payroll and tax withholding with the payroll office in Teachout Price Hall.  A social security number is required for payroll and tax withholding. Students who do not already have a social security card may request assistance from the International Student Advisor to apply for a social security card upon receiving an on-campus job offer

There are two classifications of on-campus employment at Hiram College:

  1. Non-Federal Work Study
  2. Federal Work Study

Non-Federal Work Study jobs may be held by U.S. citizens, Permanent Residents (LPR), and students with an F-1 visa. Popular places on campus that offer “Non-Work Study” positions include Dining Services, Catering, the International Student Services Office, Dray Computer Center, Welcome Center, Business Office, and Admissions. For more job opportunities, please visit Student Job Central (on portal under the student tab).

Federal Work Study positions are available only to U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents who have applied for and been approved for Work Study through the FAFSA form. Students on an F-1 visa are not eligible for Work Study positions.

Off-campus employment is permitted ONLY with authorization from the Designated School Official/International Student Advisor and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.