Hiram College

Driving in the U.S. or U.S. Territories

Driver license requirements, rules, and regulations vary from state to state within the U.S. If you wish to be eligible to drive while a student at Hiram College, please read the information below.

  • Have a Valid U.S. Driver’s License from another state in the U.S. If you have a valid U.S. driver’s license from one of the states other than Ohio, you must apply for an Ohio license within 30 days of establishing Ohio Residency.
  • Have an International License from a Country with Reciprocity to the U.S. If you plan to remain in the U.S. for 1 year or less and hold a valid International License, you may drive in the U.S. for a maximum of 1 year.  To continue driving, you will need to apply for an Ohio driver’s license at the end of that year.

Obtain a valid State of Ohio Driver’s License

Students who wish to drive in the U.S. while residing in Ohio must apply for a driver’s license issued by the State of Ohio.

When visiting the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, you must have your passport, visa, I-20, I-94, Social Security Card (if applicable), a letter from the International Student Services Office, and your payment (Payment Methods and Fees).

There are several steps to apply for an Ohio Driver’s License

  1. Study the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws.
  2. Go to the nearest State Highway Patrol Examination Station for a written test and vision screening. No appointment is necessary, but be sure to check which days and hours the nearest station is open. Local locations include Ravenna, Kent, and Streetsboro.
  3. If you pass the written exam, you will be issued a Temporary Instruction Permit Identification Card (TIPIC) which permits one to practice driving with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old.
  4. After practicing driving and maneuverability, you may schedule an appointment with an Ohio Drivers License Exam Station to take the Road Test and Maneuverability Test.
  5. After passing the driving and maneuverability test, you may visit the Deputy Registrars Office to have your driver’s license issued.  You are required to surrender your Temporary Permit at that time.

As with many other states, Ohio requires that all licensed driver’s purchase a minimum amount of insurance as prescribed by the state, even if you do not own or will not purchase a vehicle while at school.  A Temporary Permit/License will NOT be issued unless you have acquired auto insurance.



Nicole Gatrell

International Student Advisor (PDSO)

Office Location: Hinsdale Hall 205-5
Phone: +1.330.569.5388
Fax: +1.330.569.5003
Email: gatrellnr@hiram.edu