CONGRATULATIONS … almost!
All graduating students must complete the following tasks in preparation for graduation to ensure participation in the Commencement ceremony. The following ‘to-do list’ is intended to assure there is a clear understanding of what needs to happen as graduation approaches. Please review this information carefully and contact the appropriate office with any questions.
- BE SURE YOU HAVE APPLIED TO GRADUATE ALREADY AND MET FOR A GRADUATION AUDIT. December graduates should apply and meet for an audit by November 1. Contact Ginny Taylor in the Registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. CAS students may contact a program counselor or Ginny Taylor. For further information, go to http://www.hiram.edu/academic-support-services/registrar/graduation-requirements.
- BE SURE THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE HAS YOUR CORRECT MAILING ADDRESS. The Registrar confirms each student’s current mailing address during the graduation petition meeting. If you believe that this address is incorrect, you need to contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Commencement information letters will be mailed out in October to the mailing address you have on file in the registrar’s office. Most importantly, this mailing address is used for sending your diploma. Diplomas are typically sent within a few weeks to your most recently updated mailing address that you provided to either the Registrar’s Office or the Alumni Office.
- ORDER CAPS AND GOWNS. Be sure to order your cap and gown through www.herffjones.com/college/hiram. You may also place your order in the Bookstore. Deadline for cap and gown orders is Friday, November 1, 2019.
- ORDER GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS (OPTIONAL.) Personalized graduation announcements are available to order through herffjones.com/college/hiram.
- DIRECT LOAN AND PERKINS LOAN BORROWERS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE EXIT COUNSELING BEFORE GRADUATION. Log on to https://studentloans.gov/ to complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling. To complete the Perkins Loan Exit Counseling, log on to www.uasecho.com. Questions regarding the Direct Loan Exit Counseling can be answered by the Financial Aid Office at 330.569.5107. Perkins Loan Exit Counseling questions should be directed to Brett Riebau at 330.569.5119.
OCTOBER & NOVEMBER
- REGISTER FOR COMMENCEMENT TICKETS AND COMMENCEMENT LUNCH TICKETS ALONG WITH SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION PARKING. Be sure to register for Commencement tickets and complimentary lunch tickets by November 29, 2019 using the on-line registration system. You may also purchase additional lunch tickets. Details can be found under Commencement Registration and Tickets.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS. Be sure to schedule a meeting with the Director of International Student Services to discuss post-graduate planning.
- JOIN THE ONLINE ALUMNI COMMUNITY. As a Hiram College Alumni, you automatically join a career network of more than 15,000 alumni.
- The easiest way to take advantage of this is through the online alumni community. Register at alumni.hiram.edu to connect with others in your career field and geographic area.
- Stay in touch with classmates through your class page and blog, post an online class note, and let others know what you are up to. This is also a great way to keep Hiram updated with your contact information to ensure you receive all of our communications about opportunities for alumni.
- Join the Hiram College Alumni Facebook and Linked In groups. Just search “Hiram College Alumni” on both sites to find those groups.
- COMPLETE THE CAREER CENTER FIRST DESTINATION SURVEY here
- RETURN YOUR LIBRARY MATERIALS AND PAY ANY LIBRARY FINES.
- CHECK YOUR eBILLS WEEKLY BEGINNING IN NOVEMBER. Beginning in November, check your eBills regularly for any outstanding balance that must be paid. Any final charges such as library fines, parking fines, Health Center charges, etc. are continually added to your bill as quickly as possible so please check WEEKLY and watch for emails from Student Accounts and bills in the mail. You can access your bill on-line though eBill safely and securely 24/7 by logging into student portal and clicking on the eBill link. Payments can be made through the link on eBill, at www.hiram.edu/paymybill, at the Student Accounts Counter, or by mail. Hiram College reserves the right to withhold a student’s grades, transcript, and diploma if there is an unpaid balance.
- PICK UP YOUR CAP AND GOWN STARTING ON DECEMBER 1 in the Bookstore.
- RETURN IPADS to the Tech and Trek Center – 1st floor, Library. Returns will begin December 16 – 20, but students can return earlier, if necessary. Please visit the Tech and Trek FAQs page for more information on purchasing the device. You can also contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330.569.6040
- PICK UP COMMENCEMENT TICKET PACKAGE. Commencement tickets, complimentary and paid-in-full Commencement lunch tickets, and special accommodation parking tickets will be available for pick up at the Kennedy Center Welcome desk starting on Monday, December 9 until Friday, December 13.
- ATTEND THE LAST WEEK OF CLASSES AND TAKE REQUIRED FINAL EXAMS. Students are reminded that the approval of graduating seniors by faculty is subject to change depending on final exams results and final grades. Therefore, not attending the last week of classes and final exams, unless explicitly excused by the professor, could result in not graduating on December 14.
- STUDENTS NOTIFIED THAT THEY ARE AT RISK OF NOT GRADUATING MUST GO TO REGISTRAR’S OFFICE TO CONFIRM GRADUATION STATUS. Please contact Ginny Taylor in the Registrar’s Office for more information at 330.569.5213. Any student who seems to be in danger of NOT GRADUATING (based on preliminary course grades) will be informed of this fact by phone, email, text or registered mail between December 2 – 6. Students who receive such notices should see Ginny Taylor in the Registrar’s Office by Friday, December 13 to be certain that they will graduate.
- UPDATE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE IF YOUR MAILING ADDRESS HAS CHANGED. Diplomas for December graduates will be mailed by first class USPS delivery four to six weeks after Commencement. Please make sure before you leave campus in December that the Registrar’s Office has the correct mailing address on file since your location may have changed from when you completed your graduation audit.
- BE ON TIME FOR LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT. All graduating students are to line up in cap and gown at Residential Education Conference Room located on the 2nd floor of Bates Hall. You MUST be there at 10:30 a.m. or risk not marching.