CONGRATULATIONS … almost!
All graduating students must complete the following tasks in preparation for graduation to ensure participation in celebratory events and the Commencement ceremony. The following ‘to-do list’ is intended to assure there is a clear understanding of what needs to happen as graduation approaches. Please review this information carefully and contact the appropriate office with any questions.
- BE SURE YOU HAVE APPLIED TO GRADUATE AND MET FOR A GRADUATION AUDIT. Those graduating in May must apply and meet for an audit by February 3. Contact the Registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, go to http://www.hiram.edu/academic-support-services/registrar/graduation-requirements.
- BE SURE THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE HAS YOUR CORRECT MAILING ADDRESS. The Registrar confirms each student’s current mailing address during the graduation petition meeting. If you believe that this address is incorrect, you need to contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Commencement information letters will be mailed out in March to the mailing address you have on file in the registrar’s office. Most importantly, this mailing address is used for sending your diploma.
- ORDER CAPS AND GOWNS. Be sure to order your cap and gown through www.herffjones.com/college/hiram. You may also place your order in the Bookstore. Deadline for cap and gown orders is Friday, March 20, 2020.
- ORDER GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS (OPTIONAL.) Personalized graduation announcements are available to order through herffjones.com/college/hiram.
- DIRECT LOAN AND PERKINS LOAN BORROWERS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE EXIT COUNSELING BEFORE GRADUATION. Log on to https://studentloans.gov/ to complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling. To complete the Perkins Loan Exit Counseling, log on to www.uasecho.com. Questions regarding the Direct Loan Exit Counseling can be answered by the Financial Aid Office at 330.569.5107. Perkins Loan Exit Counseling questions should be directed to Brett Riebau at 330.569.5119.
MARCH & APRIL
- REGISTER FOR COMMENCEMENT TICKETS AND COMMENCEMENT BRUNCH TICKETS ALONG WITH SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION PARKING. Be sure to register for Commencement tickets and complimentary brunch tickets by May 1, 2020 using the on-line registration system. You may also purchase additional brunch tickets. Details can be found under Registration and Tickets.
- CHECK YOUR eBILLS WEEKLY. Beginning in April, check your eBills regularly for any outstanding balance that must be paid. Any final charges such as library fines, parking fines, Health Center charges, etc. are continually added to your bill as quickly as possible so please check WEEKLY and watch for emails from Student Accounts and bills in the mail. You can access your bill on-line though eBill safely and securely 24/7 by logging into student portal and clicking on the eBill link. Payments can be made through the link on eBill, at www.hiram.edu/paymybill, at the Student Accounts Counter, or by mail. Hiram College reserves the right to withhold a student’s grades, transcript, and diploma if there is an unpaid balance.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS. Be sure to schedule a meeting with the Director of International, Study Away & Out-of-State Student Services to discuss post-graduate planning.
- COMPLETE THE CAREER CENTER FIRST DESTINATION SURVEY here
- RETURN YOUR LIBRARY MATERIALS AND PAY ANY LIBRARY FINES.
- PICK UP YOUR CAP AND GOWN STARTING ON MAY 4, 2020 in the Bookstore.
- JOIN THE ONLINE ALUMNI COMMUNITY. As a Hiram College Alumni, you automatically join a career network of more than 15,000 alumni.
- The easiest way to take advantage of this is through the online alumni community. Register at alumni.hiram.edu to connect with others in your career field and geographic area.
- Stay in touch with classmates through your class page and blog, post an online class note, and let others know what you are up to. This is also a great way to keep Hiram updated with your contact information to ensure you receive all of our communications about opportunities for alumni.
- Join the Hiram College Alumni Facebook and Linked In groups. Just search “Hiram College Alumni” on both sites to find those groups.
- PICK UP COMMENCEMENT TICKET PACKAGE. Commencement tickets, complimentary and paid-in-full Commencement brunch tickets, and special accommodation parking tickets will be available for pick up at the Kennedy Center Welcome desk starting on Monday, May 11 until Friday, May 15.
- ATTEND REHEARSAL. Attendance at Commencement Rehearsal is required for all graduates since you will receive full instructions about the academic procession and procedures. Commencement rehearsal will be held on Thursday, May 14 at 12:00 pm in the Kennedy Center Ballroom. Please be prompt – it will take 30 – 45 minutes. If you have an unavoidable conflict, please notify one of the faculty marshals as soon as possible.
- ATTEND REQUIRED FINAL EXAMS. Students are reminded that the approval of graduating seniors at the May faculty meeting is subject to change depending on final exams results and final grades. Therefore, not attending final exams, unless explicitly excused by the professor, could result in not graduating on May 16.
- STUDENTS NOTIFIED THAT THEY ARE AT RISK OF NOT GRADUATING MUST GO TO REGISTRAR’S OFFICE TO CONFIRM GRADUATION STATUS. Any student who seems to be in danger of NOT GRADUATING (based on preliminary course grades) will be informed of this fact by phone, email, text or registered mail between May 12 – 15. Students who receive such notices should contact the Registrar’s Office by Friday, May 15 to be certain they will graduate.
- UPDATE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE IF YOUR MAILING ADDRESS HAS CHANGED. Diplomas for May graduates will be mailed by first class USPS delivery four to six weeks after Commencement. Please make sure before you leave campus in May that the Registrar’s Office has the correct mailing address on file since your location may have changed from when you completed your graduation audit.
- ATTEND SENIOR CELEBRATION EVENTS.
- BE ON TIME FOR CLASS PICTURE. A class picture will be taken commencement day in front of Bates Hall at 12:30 p.m. You must be in cap and gown and be prompt or miss being in the picture.
- BE ON TIME FOR LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT. All graduating students are to line up in cap and gown at Fleming Field House located in the Coleman Sports Center. You MUST be there at 1 p.m. or risk not marching.