CONGRATULATIONS … almost!
All graduating students must complete the following tasks in preparation for graduation to ensure participation in celebratory events and the Commencement ceremony. The following ‘to do list’ is intended to assure there is a clear understanding of what needs to happen as graduation approaches. Please review this information carefully and contact the appropriate office with any questions.
JANUARY THROUGH MID-FEBRUARY
- BE SURE YOU HAVE APPLIED TO GRADUATE ALREADY AND MET FOR A GRADUATION AUDIT. December graduates should have applied and met for an audit by November 15. Those graduating in May must apply and meet for an audit by February 1. PGS students should contact a PGS program counselor for an appointment. For further information on graduation requirements, go to http://www.hiram.edu/academic-support-services/registrar/graduation-requirements.
- BE SURE THE REGISTRAR’S OFFICE HAS YOUR CORRECT MAILING ADDRESS. The registrar confirms each student’s current mailing address during the graduation petition meeting. If you believe that this address is incorrect, you need to contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Commencement information letters will be mailed out in March to the mailing address you have on file in the Registrar’s Office. Most importantly, this mailing address is used for sending your diploma. For the August and December graduates, diplomas are typically sent within a few weeks to your most recently updated mailing address that you provided to either the Registrar’s Office or the Alumni Office.
- ORDER CAPS AND GOWNS. Be sure to order your cap and gown through www.herffjones.com/college/hiram or by placing your order in the Bookstore. DEADLINE is March 24, 2019.
- ORDER GRADUATION ANNOUNCEMENTS. (Optional) Personalized graduation announcements are available to order through herffjones.com/college/hiram .
- DIRECT LOAN BORROWERS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE EXIT LOAN COUNSELING BEFORE GRADUATION.To complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling log on to https://studentloans.gov/. Questions regarding the Direct Loan Exit Counseling can be answered by calling the financial aid office at 330.569.5107.
MARCH THROUGH EARLY MAY (Note April 26 deadline for Commencement and brunch ticket registration)
- REGISTER FOR COMMENCEMENT TICKETS AND COMMENCEMENT BRUNCH TICKETS ALONG WITH SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION PARKING NEEDS. Discuss plans with family and friends. Be sure to register for Commencement tickets and complimentary brunch tickets. If needed, you may order and purchase additional brunch tickets by April 26. Details can be found under Commencement Registration and Tickets.
- JOIN THE ONLINE ALUMNI COMMUNITY. As a Hiram College alumni, you automatically join a career network of more than 15,000 alumni.
- The easiest way to take advantage of this is through the online alumni community. Register at alumni.hiram.edu to connect with others in your career field and geographic area.
- In addition, stay in touch with classmates through your class page and blog, post an online class note, and let others know what you are up to. This is also a great way to keep Hiram updated with your contact information to ensure you receive all of our communications about opportunities for alumni.
- Join the Hiram College Alumni Facebook and Linked In groups. Just search “Hiram College Alumni” on both sites to find those groups.
- RETURN ALL OF YOUR LIBRARY MATERIALS AND PAY ANY LIBRARY FINES.
- CHECK YOUR eBILL WEEKLY BEGINNING IN APRIL. Beginning in April, check your eBill regularly for any outstanding balance that must be paid. Any final charges such as library fines, parking fines, etc. are continually added to your bill as quickly as possible so please check WEEKLY and watch for emails from Student Accounts and bills in the mail. You can access your bill on-line through eBill safely and securely 24/7 by logging onto Student Portal and clicking on the eBill link. Payment can be made through the link on eBill, at www.hiram.edu/paymybill, at the Student Accounts counter, or by mail. Hiram College reserves the right to withhold a student’s grades, transcript and diploma if there is an unpaid balance.
- PICK UP YOUR CAP AND GOWN STARTING ON MAY 1, 2019 in the Bookstore.
- BE ON TIME FOR CLASS PICTURES. Class pictures for undergraduates and M.A.I.S. will be taken on Commencement day in front of Bates Hall at 12:30 p.m. You must in cap and gown and be prompt or miss being in the picture.
- BE ON TIME FOR LINE UP FOR COMMENCEMENT. All graduating students are to line up in cap and gown at Fleming Field House located in the Coleman Sports Center. You MUST be there at 1 p.m. or risk not marching.