Image: Students outside on campus
Application process for international students
Please begin the application process by filling out the International Student Application form. Common Application is also accepted but please make you submit Hiram’s requirements for international students.
Hiram College bases admission on your prior academic preparation and performance, not your intended field of study. If you have multiple interests or are unsure of your intended college major, specify your primary interest from among those you are considering. After you arrive at Hiram, it is possible to change your major and the I-20 can be updated to reflect the change.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR FIRST-YEAR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
To apply as a first-year student you must submit ALL the following required documents:
- International Student Application for the desired entry term.
- Credential Evaluation of Secondary School Transcript by any NACES agency such as SpanTran. Transcripts without a credit evaluation will not be accepted unless the student has secondary school transcripts from a regionally credited international school or a high school in the United States.
- TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, SAT, PTE, Duolingo or SAKAE. A qualifying score in either exam is required to determine English proficiency.
- Personal essay.
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship with supporting documents (not required for U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents).
- International Student Profile.
- Copy of passport page.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSFER UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
To apply as a transfer student you must submit the following required documents:
- International Student Application
- Post-secondary/university transcript(s) plus the Transfer Credits Evaluation. A course-by-course evaluation must be sent directly to the Office of Admission from the evaluation agency at the address mentioned below. Evaluation is not needed if the student has transcripts from a college/university in the United States.
- TOEFL, IELTS English Exam, SAT, ACT, Duolingo are required to determine English proficiency (see below)
- Personal essay (recommended)
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship (not required for U.S. Citizens/PR)
Credential Evaluation of School Records
A credential evaluation of all foreign secondary or post secondary school transcripts is required to be evaluated for admission. International Students must have their foreign credential/transcripts be evaluated by any evaluation agency associated with NACES. If you have an unofficial copy of your foreign transcript, you can use SPANTRAN for your General Analysis with GPA or the Course Analysis evaluation.
Transfer students must submit a course by course analysis with GPA evaluation.
We are now accepting evaluations from the following companies. The evaluation you choose must include a GPA:
- WES (available to order directly from BusinessCAS application)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), Inc.
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
- Educational Perspectives
PROOF OF ENGLISH PROFICIENCY
English proficiency can be documented through any one of the following (or comparable credential with the approval of the Office of Admission):
- TOEFL (code: 1297) = iBT = 79, paper-based = 550 or above
- IELTS band score = 6.0 or above
- SAT (code: 1297) = EBRW = 520 or above
- ACT (Code: 3280) = English score = 22 or above
- PTE Academic score = 58 or above
- SAKAE (SEPT) = 10 or above
- DUOLINGO = 105 or above
All documents can be uploaded directly in the Hiram Application Portal. If you are unable to upload and submit all the required documents, you can email the PDFs or files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also accept original documents sent by mail if preferred by the student. The following address can be used for international first-class postage or courier:
Office of International Admission
PO Box 96
Hiram, OH 44234
An English Proficiency Exam is not required for students meeting at least one of the following:
- GCE A-level English = Grade B or above.
- IB Higher Level (HL) English = Score 5 or above.
- AP English = Score 4 or higher.
- Successful completion of ELS Level 112 English for Academic Purposes certificate.
- Applicants who have attended high school in the U.S. for more than two years and have earned passing grades in English courses may also be exempt from submitting a qualifying score.
- Students who are currently enrolled at a college or university in the United States with 26 semester hours or more of transferable credit hours and who have completed the college-writing requirement with a grade of C or better may also be exempt from submitting a qualifying score.
- Native English speakers from the following countries who attend schools where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt from submitting a qualifying score:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- Solomon Islands
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
PRIORITY DATES FOR APPLICATION AND SCHOLARSHIP
Applications and documents received after priority dates are processed on a space-available basis.
Fall (August) Semester
- August 1: Application available
- May 1: Application deadline
- June 1: DEPOSIT deadline
Spring (January) Semester
- August 1: Application available
- October 1: Application deadline
- November 1: DEPOSIT deadline
- Hiram College cannot return materials submitted as a part of the application process.
- Documents such as transcripts, marks sheets, certificates and diplomas must be original or certified true copies sent directly from the issuing institution to WES. Hiram doesn’t accept transcripts sent without the credit evaluation.
- Documents not in English must be accompanied by literal translations. One of these must have an original school stamp/seal and signature on it certifying that it is a true copy.
For questions or concerns, you may contact us by email at email@example.com.
For questions in regards to international student services, opportunities, and life at Hiram, contact the international student office today.