Image: Students outside on campus
STAY TUNED FOR INFORMATION ON INTERNATIONAL NEW STUDENT ARRIVAL DAY FOR FALL 2022 SEMESTER
While that date may seem a long way off, it will arrive before you know it. The checklist below will help you begin preparations for living and studying at Hiram College. Each of the steps is important, so complete them as quickly and as completely as possible. Students sponsored by government/private organizations should work closely with these agencies to ensure that all deadlines are met.
Please keep us informed of your progress in completing the steps and contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to assisting you!
1. TUITION DEPOSIT
To accept the offer of admission, submit the non-refundable USD$400 Tuition Deposit and other forms identified in the letter of admission. Since the deposit is non-refundable, students required to document finances for the Form I-20 should be certain that their financials are submitted and in order with Hiram’s Designated School Official (DSO) prior to paying the deposit.
Instructions for paying the deposit are attached to the acceptance email. Options include:
- Credit Card (online)
- Bank check/Money order (Made payable to Hiram College)
- E-check (online)
- Wire Transfer – Wire transfers are not immediate. Please allow three business days for the transfer of funds.
2. APPLY FOR THE F-1 STUDENT VISA (non-immigrant students only.)
REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR ACQUIRING A CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY: FORM I-20. SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
- Clear copy of the passport biographical page(s)
- Completed International Student Profile
- Completed Verification of Immigration Status – required only for students currently in the U.S. with an F-1 or J-1 visa.
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship
- Supporting financial documentation from each funding source.
RECEIVE A FORM I-20 FROM HIRAM COLLEGE AND,
- Review the instructions on applying for the F-1 Student Visa.
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.
- Pay the visa application fee specified by the U.S. Consulate/Embassy that will process your visa.
- Schedule a visa interview appointment with the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
3. Complete Orientation
4. Health Insurance:
Carrying Health Insurance is mandatory. All students are automatically enrolled in the Hiram College health insurance with GeoBlue Students.
5. Final Transcripts:
Send your final transcript/certificates and meet any additional requirements noted in the letter of admission.
6. PREPARING FOR DEPARTURE TO THE U.S.
REVIEW PRE-DEPARTURE INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING THE FOLLOWING:
- Transferring Funds to the U.S.
- Paying your Bill
- Travel Arrangements
- Air Travel
- Carry-on Luggage
- Port of Entry
- Transport from the Airport to Campus
- Notebook Computer
- What to Bring
- Your Room and Packing List
- Bed Linens
- Clothing Styles at U.S. Universities
- Traditional Dress from Home
- Shipping Things to Hiram
- Via Courier
- Via International Post
- Buying Textbooks
- Changing Cultures