VA Benefits: Qualifying and Applying
For students who have served, or are currently serving, in the United States Armed Services, or who are children or spouses of veterans, VA Educational Benefits may be available. To find out if you are eligible for educational benefits, please visit the VA’s Educational Benefits website, or contact the VA Benefits Office at 1.800.827.1000.
Once you have determined you are eligible for VA Educational Benefits, please follow these steps to ensure smooth processing and receipt of your VA Educational Benefit payments.
- If not yet admitted, apply and be admitted to Hiram College. Information on the Application process can be found by clicking here. Be sure to indicate on your Admissions’ application that you will be utilizing VA Educational Benefits.
- Apply for VA Educational Benefits with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Potential benefits recipients can apply online for benefits at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- If you do not have online access, contact the VA at 1.888.442.4551 and an application will be mailed to you.
- Once you have completed the application process with the VA and have received your Certificate of Eligibility, please send the following to the address below:
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Copy of DD-214
- Intent to Enroll Form (available below)
Intent to Enroll and Schedule Changes
Each term that an eligible VA benefits recipient student intends to enroll and utilize benefits, a Veteran Student Intent to Enroll Form must be completed and submitted. The Intent to Enroll Form is completed online.
There is a Chapter 35 Supplemental Intent to Enroll Form for students who are using Chapter 35 benefits for the first time at Hiram College. The form must be completed and submitted to the Financial Aid Office before your enrollment verification can be submitted to the VA.
Also, it is important to note that each veteran student is required to notify the VA Certifying Official via email, as schedule changes are made (adding, dropping courses, etc). Each time credit hours change, the VA Certifying Official adjusts educational benefits with the VA, so notification in a timely matter allows for smoother and faster processing.
If you are a veteran who will be attending classes at Hiram College or if you have any questions about VA benefits, please feel free to contact the VA Certifying Official directly.Andrea Caputo Financial Aid Office Hiram College
P.O. Box 67
Hiram, OH 44234 330.569.5441 (phone) 330.569.5499 (fax firstname.lastname@example.org
VA Website: http://www.va.gov/
VA Education/GI Bill: 1.888.442.4551
Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Affiliations
Hiram College currently has a Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) affiliation with the U.S. Army at John Carroll University. For information, please contact LTC John McCluskey at John Carroll University, 216.397.4286 or via email at email@example.com. Once you have contacted Lieutenant Colonel McCluskey, he will forward you to the appropriate personnel at Hiram College for the next step. Please also visit the John Carroll University ROTC website here.
Hiram College also has an ROTC affiliation with the U.S. Air Force at Kent State University, http://www.kent.edu/afrotc. For more information, please contact the AFROTC Unit Admissions Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call at 330.672.2182. Interested students should contact the Hiram College Registrar’s Office for registration information.