Thank you for your interest in joining Hiram College as an exchange student or a Modern Language Teaching Assistant (MLTA).
Exchange students enrolled at one of Hiram’s partner schools may study at Hiram for one semester (4 months) or for an academic year (9 months). Partner schools include:
- Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Kansai Gaidai, Osaka, Japan
- John Cabot University, Rome, Italy
Hiram also welcomes candidates from the Associated Colleges of the Midwest (ACM) Scholarship Program in Costa Rica as Modern Language Teaching Assistants.
Applying to Hiram College as an Exchange or Modern Language Teaching Assistant
The application deadline for the fall semester intake is April 1 and for the spring semester intake, September 1.
Send application materials to:
Study Abroad Programs
PO Box 67 (11715 Garfield Street)
Hiram, OH, USA 44234
Please include the following with your application:
- Exchange Student Application
- Personal essay (minimum 250 words)
- Post-secondary/university transcript(s)
- Secondary school transcripts, lower secondary and senior secondary academic records, examination results, certificates and diplomas.
- Documentation of English proficiency: Only required from overseas candidates for whom English is not the primary/first language
- One college instructor evaluation
A DS-2019 is needed to apply for an J-1 Student visa. In addition to admission requirements, Hiram College must receive the following documents before issuing the DS-2019:
- A clear photocopy of the biographical pages of your passport (name, date of birth, expiration date, passport number)
- A completed International Student Profile
- A completed Certificate of Finances form. Please read the instructions for completing the Certificate of Finances.
- Supporting financial documentation (for example: an official bank statement) showing sufficient financial resources to fund your stay at Hiram College. The amount of financial resources you must document will be determined by the details of the exchange agreement with the partner school or the conditions of the MLTA contract.
After all materials are received, Hiram College will send the DS-2019 by courier. Cost for the mailing will be covered by the student. Instructions on how to do this will be provided by email. The courier packet includes:
- Letter of Acceptance to the Exchange Program or a Modern Language Teaching Assistant Contract
- Instructions for paying the $100 non-refundable housing deposit (not applicable to MLTAs).
- Instructions for paying an I-901 SEVIS fee to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (required before your visit to the U.S. Consulate for your visa interview).
- The DS-2019 and visa application instructions.
- Original financial documentation which is required for the visa interview.
As students of Hiram College, accepted exchange students must follow all college policies including the following:
- Applicants must have completed more than 30 semester hours or one year of full-time post-secondary study.
- Exchange students are enrolled in Hiram College as non-degree students. As stated in the Hiram College Catalog, all courses offered by Hiram College are available to non-degree students provided the student meets course pre-requisites.
- Exchange students must reside in on-campus housing.
- Exchange students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester of program participation. Hiram College tuition exchange permits a maximum of 18 credit hours per semester. Students who register for more than 18 credit hours will be charged a fee per additional credit hour. An academic advisor will be assigned to assist each student with course selection.
- At the end of the exchange semester or year, an official transcript will be mailed to the student in a sealed envelope. The student should submit the transcript in the sealed envelope to the home institution for transfer credit evaluation.
- Exchange students may not extend their enrollment at Hiram College without the written approval by both institutions.
Please keep us informed of your progress and contact us with any questions. We look forward to your correspondence!
Director, International, Commuter, and Transfer Student Services
Assistant Director, Strategic Academic Initiatives and J-1 Responsible Officer
Associate Director, Admission