Hiram College bases admission on your prior academic preparation and performance, not your intended field of study. If you have multiple interests or are unsure of your intended college major, specify your primary interest from among those you are considering. After you arrive at Hiram, it is possible to change your major and the I-20 can be updated to reflect the change.
Please begin the application process by filling out the International Student Application form. Common Application is also accepted.
Application Requirements for First-Year Undergraduate Students
To apply as a first-year student you must submit the following required documents:
- International Student Application for the desired entry term
- Credit evaluation of Secondary School Transcript by WES
- TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, SAT, PTE, or SAKAE. A qualifying score in either exam is required to determine English proficiency
- Personal essay
- Completed Certification of Finances and Affidavit of Sponsorship (not required for U.S. Citizens/PR) with supporting documents
- International Student Profile
- Copy of passport page
- Skype/Phone Interview (recommended once all above documents are submitted)
- Skype ID: HiramAdmissions
Secondary School Records
A credential evaluation of all foreign secondary school transcripts is required to be evaluated for admission. International students must have their foreign credential transcripts evaluated by an evaluation agency associated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, such as World Education Services, Inc. (WES). Evidence of successful progress toward or completion of secondary school can be documented with diplomas, certificates, and/or results of external or school leaving examinations appropriate to your secondary educational program. These may include but are not limited to SSC/HSC, CXC, Advanced Subsidiary, A Level, WASSCE, and other comparable examinations.
Proof of English Proficiency
English proficiency can be documented through any one of the following (or comparable credential with the approval of the Office of Admission):
- TOEFL (code: 1297) = iBT = 79, paper-based = 550 or above
- IELTS band score = 6.0 or above
- SAT (code: 1297) = EBRW = 520 or above
- ACT (Code: 3280) = English score = 22 or above
- PTE Academic score = 58 or above
- SAKAE (SEPT) = 10 or above
All documents can be uploaded directly in the Application Portal. If you are unable to upload and submit all the required documents, you can email the PDFs or files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also accept original documents sent by mail if preferred by the student. The following address can be used for international first-class postage or courier:
Office of International Admission
6832 Hinsdale Street-PO Box 96
Hiram, OH 44234
A TOEFL/IELTS exam is not required for students meeting at least one of the following:
- GCE A-level English = Grade B or above.
- IB Higher Level (HL) English = Score 5 or above.
- AP English = Score 4 or higher.
- Successful completion of ELS Level 112 English for Academic Purposes certificate.
Applicants who have attended high school in the U.S. for more than two years and have earned passing grades in English courses may also be exempt from submitting a qualifying score.
Students who are currently enrolled at a college or university in the United States with 26 semester hours or more of transferable credit hours and who have completed the college-writing requirement with a grade of C or better may also be exempt from submitting a qualifying score.
- Native English speakers from the following countries who attend schools where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt from submitting a qualifying score:
Antigua & Barbuda
Canada (except Quebec)
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago
Priority Dates for Application and Scholarship
Applications and documents received after priority dates are processed on a space-available basis.
Fall (August) Semester
- August 1: Priority Application available
- October 1: File FAFSA for need-based financial aid (U.S. Citizens only)
- May 1: DEPOSIT deadline
- June 15: Final Application Deadline
Spring (January) Semester
- July 1: Priority application available
- November 15: DEPOSIT deadline
- Hiram College cannot return materials submitted as a part of the application process.
- Documents such as transcripts, marks sheets, certificates and diplomas must be original or certified true copies sent directly from the issuing institution.
- Documents not in English must be accompanied by literal translations. One of these must have an original school stamp/seal and signature on it certifying that it is a true copy.
For questions or concerns, you may contact us by email at email@example.com.