International Studies Major
Hiram’s international studies degree program gives students an in-depth understanding of our global society, allowing them to devise solutions to urgent challenges through advocacy, diplomacy, defense, and development work. Students who are in the international studies major examine contemporary global issues and have an opportunity to focus their study on key regions or topics of international interest.
4-Year Undergraduate Degree
About Our International Studies Major in Northeast, Ohio
The international studies major allows students to utilize and build on Hiram’s traditional strengths in study abroad, global-related course offerings, and experiential learning opportunities. The major provides students with an interdisciplinary perspective on contemporary global issues, dynamics, societies, and cultures while also giving students the opportunity to develop an emphasis on a particular region or theme.
Image: international studies degree
- Foreign service official/diplomat
- International relations specialist
- Intelligence agent
- International marketing specialist
- Research analyst
JEFFREY ROBB ’21 | International Studies and Political Science Double Major
“I aspire to one day hold a position that affords me the opportunity to work in many different areas. From writing and research, to engaging with voters, to representing constituents, to shaping public policy.”
Image: international studies degree
Ways to Get involved
In the spirit of James A. Garfield, the Garfield Center for Public Leadership helps both the political and apolitical explore public service in a process replete with opportunities on and off campus.
The Garfield Center for Public Leadership is the ideal program for students within our international studies major because it encourages a deep understanding of public policy and foreign relations. Our students then go off to be successful with a firm foundation of effective leadership and public policymaking.
Earning Your International Studies Degree in Hiram, Ohio
Hiram College was founded in 1850 and has been a hub for students looking to pursue their passions ever since. We foster a welcoming learning environment in every aspect of our programs and degrees, and our international studies degree in northeast Ohio program is no exception.
Plus, our campus is conveniently located in Hiram, Ohio, a village found between Akron, Youngstown, and Cleveland. Our central location means that when you have downtime from your studies, you will have plenty of places to explore. Whether you want to see a professional sporting event, find a new place to eat, or head out for a night on the town, the options are endless.
Resources You Can Use Throughout Your Years Here
In addition to dedicated faculty in the classroom, we offer support services that are designed to help you succeed across the entire campus.
Here are the services we offer to support you:
- Student academic services – Our Student Academic Services works tirelessly to help students achieve excellence and develop their social responsibility skills. Support for students in our northeast Ohio international studies major includes tutoring, help from the writing center, technology assistance with Moodie, and more.
- Career development – Students pursuing their international studies major will have access to career development resources, tools, events, programming, and more. These resources will show you how to interview or network with alumni with ease to prepare for your future.
- Health and wellness – All of our students are encouraged to take advantage of our health and wellness resources. These include our health center, crisis resources, disability services, and counseling services.
- The Hiram CARE Team – The Hiram College of Coordinated Assistance Resource and Education team is a group of staff members who meet to provide support for students. The CARE team is present both in the classroom and around campus for assistance in achieving the academic and personal well-being of students.
View all of our academic areas of study and find your true calling as a student at Hiram.