Creative Writing Degree
The creative writing major combines extensive coursework in writing with literature classes. Students have ample opportunities to improve their own voice and technique while learning about careers in the writing field.
4-Year Undergraduate Degree
About Our Northeast Ohio Creative Writing Major
The program focuses on literary writing and encourages writers to locate themselves within a literary tradition. It’s one of the few in Ohio to highlight creative nonfiction in addition to fiction, poetry, and screenwriting.
Our northeast Ohio creative writing degree offers students exciting opportunities to distinguish themselves and develop professional experience and expertise while still undergraduates. Students work closely with faculty mentors to identify programs and experiences that will connect most directly with their own interests and goals.
Hiram’s workshops include graduate-level work, preparing students pursuing a creative writing major to enter a Master of Fine Arts program or the workforce.
Image: creative writing
Career Paths with a Creative Writing Degree
- Advertising copywriter
- Arts administrator
- Digital copywriter
- Web content manager
- Publishing copy-editor/proofreader
- Editorial assistant
Image: creative writing
Ways to Get involved
Hiram College’s strongest writers are invited to work as Writing Assistants in the Hiram College Writing Center and the First-Year Program. As trained writing tutors, these students work closely with students and faculty members on improving writing across campus.
Additionally, while pursuing your creative writing degree, you also can take advantage of other campus involvement opportunities, such as:
Obtain Your Creative Writing Degree in Northeast Ohio at Hiram
In addition to offering a supportive environment, Hiram’s creative writing major delivers advantages that include:
- 10-1 student-to-faculty ratio – Students benefit from smaller class sizes which help to foster a more engaging and productive learning experience.
- A range of education opportunities – At Hiram, we offer 33 majors, 37 minors, pre-professional concentrations and two dual-degree opportunities. When pursuing your northeast Ohio creative writing degree, you can choose a minor that best fits your career goals.
- Opportunities to excel – Hiram supplies a variety of opportunities that help you expand your knowledge. We offer college credit for high school students, provide summer courses, and supply programs and graduate credits for educators.
- Career development – In our career development center, we help students decide which major or career is right for them. If you already know what you’re interested in, don’t worry, because there are still benefits of our center. You can utilize our online job board Handshake, we can help with resumes and cover letters, and we can even prep you for your first interview. Wherever you are at in your career process, we are here to help!
Additionally, students taking part in our creative writing degree program benefit from Hiram’s convenient central location, just a short distance from the major cities of Akron, Youngstown, and Cleveland. Plus, aspiring writers attending Hiram can immerse themselves in an inclusive community that welcomes people of diverse backgrounds.
Contact Us About Our Creative Writing Degree
At Hiram, we give students the opportunity to discover, learn and grow in a supportive environment. If you’re interested in pursuing a creative writing degree in northeast Ohio, visit our application page!
Have questions about our community or want to learn more about our creative writing major? Contact our admission team for quick assistance. We look forward to hearing from you.
View all of our academic areas of study and find your true calling as a student at Hiram.