By pursuing the biology major at Hiram College, students can study life at all levels—molecular, cellular, individual and ecological. Combined with the new liberal arts, the northeast Ohio biology degree prepares students to achieve their unique goals, from attending medical or veterinary school to pursuing an allied health profession.
Students who pursue a biology degree at Hiram are ready to face new challenges and aren’t afraid to fail. Curious in nature, they love to question the world around them. If this sounds like you, you’ll feel right at home in Hiram’s bachelor’s degree in biology.
4-Year Undergraduate Degree
About the Biology Degree Program
Bachelor of Science in Biology Program Summary
With their liberal arts backgrounds, Hiram biology students have a broader platform on which to build their careers and lives. The critical-thinking, research, and communication skills they’ll develop help them no matter the path they take.
It’s easy for students to specialize their biology major to fit their unique interests and goals.
The biology program allows students to learn hands on and gain real research experience by the time they graduate. Making observations, testing hypotheses and drawing conclusions is practiced in the classroom, in the lab and beyond.
Image: biology major in northeast Ohio
Biology Major Paths and Opportunities
- Paid and volunteer independent research projects during the academic year and summer.
- Job shadowing with local doctors, veterinarians and more
- Study abroad trips that expose students to diverse locales
- Working, interning or volunteering at Hiram’s 550-acre James H. Barrow Biological Field Station
- Interning or researching with local organizations including Penitentiary Glen Reservation and the Akron Zoo
“Give yourself time to explore your interests and your passions, consider careers that maybe you hadn’t thought of before.”
Image: biology major in northeast Ohio
Ways to Get involved
Hiram College has a unique academic schedule which allows faculty to lead field courses off campus within the United States. Many of the faculty have taught courses in Alaska, the Southwest, Florida, and the Great Smoky Mountains.
Additionally, biology faculty also lead other study abroad trips all over the world. For up-to-date study abroad courses, please visit the Study Abroad page.
Choose Hiram’s Northeast Ohio Bachelor of Science in Biology
Here at Hiram College, we provide our students with the tools and educations to create a rewarding path of their own. Our biology major program offers a distinctive learning environment with a focus on small classroom sizes for increased engagement and stronger relationships. Additionally, Hiram students receive a hands-on approach to education, helping them achieve both personal and professional goals.
Located centrally between Akron, Youngstown, and Cleveland, Hiram College is the perfect place to pursue your bachelor’s degree in biology. Further benefits to choosing Hiram for your biology degree include:
- A variety of majors and minors – We offer a wide array of learning opportunities, including 33 majors and 37 minors in addition to our biology major, for students to expand their knowledge in other areas of interest.
- Small classroom sizes – Hiram has a 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio, allowing biology degree students to develop stronger relationships with faculty and experience a more engaged learning environment.
- Student resources – Students can take advantage of a range of support services and resources to maximize success including academic services, the career development center, health and wellness services, and more.
- Extracurricular activities – For students who are looking to get involved beyond academics, we offer over 30 campus organizations and clubs for students to create memories outside of the classroom.
Apply for Your Biology Degree Today
Are you ready to take the next steps in pursuing a Bachelor of Science in biology? For questions and additional information, contact us today!
Nicolas Hirsch, Ph.D.
Tom Koehnle, Ph.D.
Jessie Lanterman Novotny, Ph.D.
Brad Goodner, Ph.D.
Edward J. Smerek Endowed Chair of Mathematics, Technology & the Sciences
View all of our academic areas of study and find your true calling as a student at Hiram.