News from the Hiram College Writing Center
Spring 12-week 2022 Writing Center Distance Tutoring
Need writing help for your 12-week courses at Hiram? As always, trained peer Writing Assistants are ready to help you with papers at any stage in the writing process. While we have no drop-in hours in the Writing Center this Spring 12-week, you can still schedule an appointment and set up a virtual appointment with a Writing Assistant.
In The Writing Center:
- The Writing Center is open afternoons and evenings, Sunday through Thursday. See schedule attached below for hours and tutors.
- Located in the Stephen and Jacquelyn Love Writing House, on Hinsdale Street next to Bonney Castle.
- Drop-in tutoring in the Writing Center begins Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 4pm.
As a part of the ARCH Tutoring Program:
- Monday through Thursday, 8-10pm
- Hinsdale Hall, Hinsdale 218
- Drop-in tutoring in the ARCH begins Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 8pm.
In The Library:
- The Library Satellite is open on Wednesdays from 2-4pm.
- The Writing Assistant will be located on the first floor of the library. Look for the sign!
- Drop-in tutoring in the Library begins Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 2pm.
Distance/E-Mail Tutoring: If you are unable to attend regular face-to face tutoring hours, Online, Partnership and College Credit Plus (CCP) students who wish to work with a Writing Assistant should send a tutoring request to WritingCenter@hiram.edu. The request should include:
- Your name, year (CCP, first-year, junior, etc.), course, and instructor.
- A copy of the document the student wishes to work on (preferably in Word format: .doc or .docx).
- A copy of prompt (the assignment the professor gave to students in the class).
Writing Assistants should respond in approximately 24 hours (longer on weekends) in order to set up either e-mail tutoring or tutoring via Zoom or FaceTime (to be arranged between Writing Assistant and student).
Writing Assistants are trained and experienced peer writing tutors available in the Writing Center, the ARCH, the library, and online to help you with papers at any stage in the writing process. We have tutors from a variety of majors, so don’t be afraid to ask for help with papers from any discipline.
For more information about tutoring and other services at the Writing Center offers, check out our website here, contact Jeffrey Swenson or stop by his office in Hinsdale 205-1.
Jeffrey Swenson, Associate Professor of English
For your information and convenience, please find attached and below:
- A list of hours that the Writing Center and ARCH will be staffed this spring and the names of the assistants who will be working in the center at particular hours;
- An information sheet that lists the majors and contact information of writing assistants.
Copies of these attachments will also be posted on the corkboard in front of the center.
“I had heard that Hiram was a big writing school, but never thought much about what that would mean. Now, I understand that the writing here is truly all-encompassing. There is no escaping it. I did not intend on avoiding it, but did not plan on honing it as my craft. Now, I ask myself what I am writing, why I am writing, and how it can be better said. In short, I care.”
– A first year student reviewing her paper