Each summer, the James H. Barrow Biological Field Station invites Hiram College students to apply for internships and employment.
Internships are paid and housing in a Hiram residence hall is provided.
Minimum requirements for applicants include the following:
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- good academic standing at Hiram College
- continuation at Hiram College through the following academic year
The Field Station will announce to all students via campus email, when applications are open – usually during the middle of the spring semester. The following items should be included with the application:
- a one-page application form
- a formal cover letter addressing the student’s interest in a particular internship, relevant experience, internship preference and long-term goals
- an unofficial copy of a student’s most current transcript
- an application for summer work-study
Please note that all student interns and employees may be asked to contribute to general duties for maintenance and function of the Field Station and grounds, particularly in preparation for special events. Also, every student supported by Field Station funding will provide both a poster and a final report summarizing their work so that it may be publicized on campus and to the wider community. All Field Station interns and employees are expected to participate in special events at the Field Station, especially during Alumni Weekend.
All students involved with animal-related internships at the Field Station will participate in the daily husbandry and routines involving the captive animal collection used for education.