Image: Students talking in the library

Frequently asked questions about studying abroad

Generally, students study abroad for two reasons: the experience of traveling overseas and/or to complement their current studies. For example, a student may choose to study in Spain so that they can experience all of Europe or because they are a Spanish major and want to improve their language skills.

  • Earn credits while traveling the world!
  • Experience a new language and culture!
  • Looks good on your resume!
  • Take courses for your major, minor or language requirement!

Almost anywhere! Our faculty-led trips can take you all over the world. Interested in traveling alone? Most countries offer at least one study abroad option.

Our faculty-led trips are led by seasoned faculty who can help guide you around the country you are visiting. If you are traveling alone, you should not be discouraged if English is not the main language spoken in your desired country. Most study abroad programs offer courses in English, and almost all travel destinations are English-friendly.

You can take any course you want as long as it is approved. When choosing courses to take abroad, you should be cognizant of what courses will work toward your studies at Hiram College. You should talk with your academic advisor about what courses can be used towards your major, minor, language requirements, and core classes. You may also need to contact the chair of any academic departments that you will be attempting to take courses abroad for to be sure they will count towards your core requirements.

Once you have been accepted to your school, you should contact the Study Away Office, as they can talk you through the next steps to confirm that the abroad courses you plan to take will be accepted as Hiram College credits.

Depending on which faculty-led trip you go, costs may vary. On average, trip costs for a faculty-led three-week is approximately $5000 above tuition. This cost includes your airfare, visas, accommodations and much more. If you are studying abroad on your own, it will depend on where you study (and if it is part of our exchange programs), the cost of studying abroad could be similar to tuition fees at Hiram College, or more expensive or in some instances, with exchange programs, you are paying your Hiram tuition and possibly the room and board to the institution (depending on the exchange agreement in place). Aside from tuition, you must also take into account the cost of living in the country where you wish to study, plus airfare.

Yes. Hiram College offers some scholarships. Programs like AIFS, AustraLearn, CEA, API and Athena Abroad offer scholarships to students studying abroad with their programs. Alternative scholarships and financial aid can be found by searching GoAbroad.com or www.studyabroad.com. Additionally, there are specific scholarships for critical languages available every year such as the Boren Scholarship or the Critical Language Scholarship Program (CLS) through the Department of State.

Yes, some of your financial aid can be applied to your time abroad; the exact amount depends on the type of aid you receive. Once you have been accepted to your faculty-led program or your independent school overseas, you should contact Financial Aid to discuss the details. It is important to contact the Financial Aid office to understand how your financial aid will be applied to studying abroad.

No. While you are free to apply to a school on your own, it is recommended that you go through a program or exchange that Hiram has set up. The program or Hiram will guide you through every aspect of your abroad experience. Your program or Hiram will help you with travel plans and housing and let you know if you need such things as a visa, vaccinations, and insurance.

There are two types of ways to study abroad using a program: you can go through another American university that has satellite campuses in foreign countries (e.g. Syracuse University, Temple University) or through independent programs that are affiliated with actual schools abroad. Satellite campuses of American universities are located in cities overseas. This option is attractive to students who either do not know the language or who just want to see a different part of the world. Independent programs such as AIFS, API, Athena Abroad, AustraLearn and CEA act as a go-between for study abroad students and foreign universities. These programs allow you full immersion in the culture of the country in which you are studying.

There is no correct time to study abroad, although most students study abroad in their sophomore, junior, or senior years, and some students study abroad during the summer. It is important for every student to understand their own individual needs and requirements and talk to their academic advisors.

Early planning is the key to a successful study abroad experience. There are many programs and opportunities that exist. Programs differ in location, duration, curriculum, language, degree of cultural immersion, cost, and many other factors. In order to find the program that is the right “fit” for your personal and academic objectives, you should begin planning your study abroad experience as soon as possible. Additionally, most study abroad programs have deadlines well in advance of your actual departure date, so it is important to begin planning as early as possible.

It is possible to plan a study abroad experience for a summer, semester or full academic year. There are even some short term travel abroad programs that last three or twelve weeks, such as the faculty-led programs through Hiram College.

Yes, it is possible to study abroad and still graduate on time. However, students need to talk with their advisor to make sure all requirements will be met before, during and after studying abroad. In fact, at Hiram College, a faculty-led study abroad trip can be taken to count towards your Connect credit or one of your INTD courses!

This varies from one faculty-led trip to another. If you are traveling independently, this largely depends on the program that you choose, but the available options usually range from apartments, residential halls, or home stays with families. Most programs offer a wide range of available options for students.

If you are planning on going on a Hiram faculty-led trip, watch for the deadlines by email. Typically, if you are going on a spring trip, the deadline is October 8th in the fall before. If you are going in the fall, the deadline is March 7th. If you are planning to travel independently, once you have decided on a program or made some preliminary decisions about the type of program you are interested in, contact the Study Away Office for an appointment. Call 330.569.5150 or send an e-mail to kirkew@hiram.edu to schedule an appointment. You can also stop in to get more information during office hours (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday).