Requirements for the Minor
To qualify for an Asian studies minor, students must meet with Professor Merose Hwang. Students must propose and follow a course of study as approved by the Asian Studies Advisory Committee. They must take the INTD 21100 Seminar in Asia (4 hours), and a total of 18 credit hours in Asian Studies. Study-abroad and language coursework is encouraged but not required. Students will be encouraged to focus on a region or a discipline in their choice of coursework. Possible study-abroad destinations include India, China and Japan. Possible on-campus or on-line language courses include Arabic and Mandarin Chinese.
A team-taught INTD 21100 course is required for students in the minor program. This course will focus on two disciplines and is meant to introduce students to a variety of Asian cultures, histories and politics.
- INTD 21100 Seminar in Asian Studies (4 hours)
Core Discipline Requirement
Courses must be chosen from two of the following core disciplines (at least one course from each, equaling 6-8 hours minimum). Courses that count toward the minor are identified in individual course descriptions. A student’s program will be designed and approved in consultation with an advisor from the committee to ensure they fulfill the requirements for the minor.
- HIST 21700: Modern China 1842 to Present, CA, EW (4 hr)
- HIST 21900: Japan Since 1868, CA, EW (4 hr)
- HIST 20800: Modern East Asia, CA, EW (4 hr)
- HIST 28000: Shamans & Superstition, CA, EW (3 hr)
- HIST 25650: Gender and Sexuality in East Asia, CA, EW (3 hr)
- HIST 23020: Brothel to Factory: History of Female Labor in Asia, CA, EW (3 hr)
- POLS 38000: Insurgency & Ethnic Conflict in South Asia (4 hr)
- POLS 30600: International Relations of South Asia (3 hr)
- POLS : Politics of South Asia (4 hr)
- POLS : Politics and Development in Asia (4 hr)
- POLS : Asian Political Thought (4 hr)
The following courses may count toward the Asian Studies minor. This list is not comprehensive and may change based on offerings. Advisors should review courses not included in this list to count toward the minor.
- ART 32000: The Art of India, EW, IM (3 hr) – Safford
- CHIN 10200: Beginning Mandarin Chinese II – Ji
- ENGL 22600: India in Fiction and Film, EW, IM (4 hr) – Parkinson
- ENGL 43800: Visions of India, EW, IM (4 hr) – Parkinson
- INTD 21300: Selling Shanghai (cross-listed with Entrepreneurship), EW (4 hr) – Hwang
- INTD25500: Identity, Expression, & Representation (India study-abroad), EMS, EW, F, Team (3 hr) – Chima & Safford
- INTD 393.E3: China: Tradition and Change, (China study-abroad) EMS, EW, F, Team (3 hr) – Yu
- INTD28000.E1: Tradition and Modernity (Japan study-abroad), EMS, EW, F, Team (3 hr) – Lamb & Parkinson