Majors, Minors and Advisors

Image: Students in the Kennedy Center

Hiram College undergraduate students must complete a major (a minor is not required) and fulfill the General Education Requirements in order to graduate.

Effective Fall 2012, all traditional students must declare their major by March 1st of their Sophomore year, or before earning 56 hours and becoming juniors. Students transferring in with Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing must declare their major prior to registration for their third semester at Hiram College.  If a student is not declared by registration for the following academic semester, the student will be blocked from registration.

Advising is a key component of major declaration. Therefore, after discussing their interest in a particular major with a faculty member of the department, traditional students can officially declare their major in the following manner:

1.       Obtain the Major/Advisor form here or from the Registrar’s Office.

2.       Obtain the signature from the director of the school you are declaring on the form and, if required by the director, the signature of the new advisor.

3.       Submit the form with all signatures to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Students can declare their minor(s) in a similar fashion through the Minor/Advisor form available here or from the Registrar’s Office.

For an up to date listing of majors and minors, please refer to the most recent College Catalog.