The Garfield Center for Public Leadership
The Garfield Center for Public Leadership prepares students to assume the responsibilities of public leadership by developing expertise in matters of public policy, foreign and domestic, grounded in Hiram’s traditional liberal arts education.
Image: Garfield Center for Public Leadership
This learning process is enabled by bringing to the campus persons whose own public leadership has set them as examples to our community and nation. Working through the seminar series and other events, the Center strives to train the next generation of public servants and educate the community at large about relevant political issues. In the spirit of James A. Garfield, the Center helps both the political and the apolitical explore public service in a process replete with opportunities on and off campus.
Analyzing the Impact of the Ukrainian War: NATO, Russia, and the Future of European Security – Thursday, November 3, 2022
This objective is to provide Hiram College students with opportunities to develop their intellectual and social skills for careers in public leadership and scholarship related to public policy issues and international relations. To this end, students will participate fully in the Garfield seminars, engage public leaders on and off campus, and demonstrate scholarship relevant to individual career goals. The program is open to a variety of majors.
The Program’s Elements
PARTICIPATION IN THE GARFIELD SEMINARS
- Research and identify appropriate speakers for the Garfield seminars
- Engage in readings and discussion prior to the seminars
- Host speakers – arrange schedules, dinner, small group discussions, introductions
- Prepare discussion questions for the post-presentation discussions
- Pose group questions to the speakers
- Plan and participate in an annual field trip
- Essay relevant to role in the seminar
- Public presentation of the essay
- Documentation of activities meeting the first two objectives
PAST SCHOLAR TRIPS
One of the privileges of being a Garfield Scholar is the opportunity to travel to local and international destinations to engage in public policy research and activity.