What makes Centers of Distinction unique?
Centers of Distinction are not the same as academic departments. The programming and opportunities (speaker series, learning communities, internships, service learning, scholarships) stemming from each Center are open to Hiram students from any major. Each Center does, however have academic majors and minors that are closely affiliated with them if students which to connect to them more intensively as part of their plan of study
Through Centers, students from any major can take part in unique opportunities such as:
- developing plans for new businesses and social ventures and operating them.
- mastering organic chemistry or music theory while training in hospice.
- traveling to Washington to directly interact with key leaders developing domestic and foreign policy.
- partnering with faculty and staff to establish Hiram’s sustainability goals.
- teaching genomics to high schoolers, while taking on their own research project.
- editing and publishing a professional literary journal, while becoming a campus leader in a service partnership within our community.