Course Placement Process
Admitted students can take classes to fulfill general education classes and begin to explore a variety of discipline-specific areas that build toward a bachelor’s degree.
Next Steps for Students Coming to Hiram’s Campus for Courses
Each student accepted into College Credit Plus at Hiram College will receive an acceptance letter with further instructions.
Level 1 Courses
As designated by the state, Level 1 courses at Hiram College are any courses that do not have a prerequisite requirement attached to them and are transferable. If a course has a prerequisite, it will say “PREQ” in the Attribute section of the course schedule information. Courses not allowed under Ohio legislation are courses that are: one-on-one private instruction (such as music lessons, etc.), a course with high fees, a physical education course, courses that are Pass/Fail (P/F), remedial courses, courses in religious studies, or a study abroad or similar course.
You can find the list of Level 1 courses here.
Registration Process for students coming to Hiram’s campus
- Meet with high school counselor. Once accepted, if a student is coming to Hiram’s campus to take courses or will be taking courses online, they should meet with their high school guidance counselor first and talk through course options and fill out their CCP intent to participate form.
- Meet with Hiram College advisor. Then they will meet with their Hiram College advisor to discuss course options and answer any questions. Spring 2021 advising takes place from October 25th to December 15th. To schedule your advising appointment for CCP classes at Hiram, email email@example.com.
- Complete Authorization Form. After the advising meeting, Hiram’s advisor will send the student and the guidance counselor the CCP Authorization Form with the courses discussed. The student, parent and high school guidance counselor will need to sign and return the form to Hiram’s advisor (electronic signature is fine).
- Complete the Required Forms. All CCP students MUST complete the following CCP Required Forms and questionnaire at the moment of enrolling to the college.
- Registration of the course. After the advising meeting the advisor will meet with the Registrar’s Office to submit the student’s course selections (the first semester they are enrolling only) after the high school guidance counselor has approved the classes and submitted the signed Authorization form. After the first semester, the student will be able to register for classes online/electronically, but MUST meet with their Hiram advisor and guidance counselor and complete the College Credit Plus Guidance Counselor Authorization Form each term. After turning the Authorization Form into the Admission Office they will receive their ALT PIN required to register online.
- Confirmation email. The student will receive a confirmation email once the registration has been approved by the Registrar office. The email will contain the classes approved and next steps.
The first 15 hours of CCP courses for a student must be one of the designated Level 1 courses. Course placement will be determined based upon the need for courses that fulfill both high school and college credit, high school record, the recommendation of high school guidance counselors, ACT, SAT, or other test scores, and course availability. In some cases, placement testing may be required (e.g. Mathematics and/or Foreign Languages courses).
High school students may enroll at Hiram College in one, as a part-time student (0-11 credit hours per semester, i.e., 1-2 classes per semester), or as a full-time student (12-30 credit hours per year, i.e., 3-4 classes per semester). Courses can be taken at Hiram College, online (as available), or at participating high schools. Students must work with high school guidance departments regarding fulfillment of high school credit requirements necessary for high school graduation in the State of Ohio.
High School Guidance Counselors should ensure each student does not exceed full-time status. To calculate full-time status:
30 – (high school credits x 3)= maximum number of college credits that a CCP student may earn that academic year
- Determine student’s number of high school ONLY units,
- Multiply that number by 3, and
- Subtract the result from the number 30.
- That number is the total number of college credits that CCP student may earn that academic year.
To see examples of course options for 15-hour per year or 30-hour per year pathways and some discipline-based course options, please refer to our College Credit Plus Curriculum Guide or 3-year pathway programs.
Students can explore course options by visiting my.hiram.edu, clicking “Class Schedules,” and choosing the correct term (Summer, Fall, or Spring of the appropriate year).
(Please note: Choose “Traditional 12-week Term” for the option “Part of Term” if looking at our traditional fall and spring courses. For Summer, choose “Summer 1” or “Summer 2” and for online summer courses, choose “Online 1st 8 Week” and “Online 2nd 8 Week.”)
Please also note that courses with “PREQ” in the attribute code are considered Level 2 courses or higher.
Registration Process for Students Taking Courses at Their High School.
If students are staying at their high school to take their Hiram courses, Hiram College will work with the school district to determine coursework. A representative from Hiram College will send information at the start of the academic year to complete the required forms, complete CCP orientation, and to answer any questions.
Once accepted, if a student is taking the course at their high school, no further action is required, as Hiram College will work with the school district to appropriately enroll students into their courses at the high school.
College Credit Plus students will be registered no later than 15 calendar days from the start of the semester they wish to take courses in.
The CCP student needs to work with their school district to determine the district’s preference on how to order CCP textbooks. For more information the school district can contact the Bookstore at 330.569.5209. Homeschool and private school parents/guardians are required to purchase the textbooks for their child.
Hiram College Credit Plus Orientation is online. Students will receive an email with their account credentials to access the Orientation site once they have been admitted.