Each year, Garfield Fellows gather for an annual meeting and to pay tribute to members’ notable achievements.
For the safety and health of our fellows and guests, the 48th meeting of the Garfield Society Garfield on Friday, October 22, 2021 has been postponed. We appreciate your understanding, and will notify you when we have a rescheduled date.
Garfield Society Fellows from the classes of 2019, 2020 and 2021 will be inducted at this time. They include:
Class of 2019
- Graham Chedd, Friend of the College
- John Eklund, State Senator, Friend of the College
- James D. Graham ’88, Trustee
- Jane Preston Rose, Friend of the College
- Nancy G. Rubin, Officer of the College
Class of 2020
- Jeff Swenson, Faculty
- Mary Quade, Faculty
- William Bissell, Trustee
- Richard Giesen, Jr., Trustee
- Perry Streidel, Trustee, `75
- Dan Summers, Former Officer of the College
Class of 2021
- Douglas Gruber, Trustee, `82
- Robert Sher, Trustee, `72
- Doug Brattebo, Faculty
- Colin Anderson, Faculty
About James A. Garfield
President James A. Garfield served honorably and with distinction the Nineteenth Congressional District of Ohio for ten consecutive terms (1863-1880). He served his country gallantly during the Civil War (1861-1863), rising to the rank of Major General, and was the second principal of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (1857-1863), where he had been a student (1851 – 1852) and member of the faculty. He was instrumental in paving the way for the Eclectic Institute to achieve full collegiate status as Hiram College in 1867. His varied and distinguished career included capable and outstanding service as a preacher, educator, lawyer, soldier, legislator and scholar.