Journaling or keeping a diary while abroad can be beneficial, both for your schoolwork and your personal life.
- It can help you keep track of all that you saw and did while abroad. We think we will remember everything we see and do and we will remember many parts of the trip, but what starts to happen is your mind forgets different aspects or things that you might want to remember later on.
- It helps capture your thoughts and reflections on what you saw in the moment and helps you reflect and think more critically about what you are experiencing.
- It provides you with much needed “you-time.” Go off in a corner of your hostel or hotel, or down to a local cafe and take a moment for yourself each day. It will help you stay energized on the trip!
- It provides you with nuggets of laughter for the rest of your life.
- You can make it into a scrapbook when you return.
- You won’t regret it! But you will regret not keeping one (trust me on this one – I regret not capturing my time in India and Spain)!