Fall 3-week, 2013 (cancelled for 2013) Watch for information on another S. Africa opportunity in the near future.
Elizabeth Piatt, Professor of Sociology
SOAN 380: Social Justice Movement and Fair Trade in South Africa
The focus of this program is to 1) introduce students to fair trade principles, 2) examine fair trade as a social justice movement, 3) apply social movement theory to fair trade in South Africa, and 4) illustrate the importance of social context in the development of social justice movements by exposing students to the effects of fair trade as experienced by the black majority in South Africa. In addition, participants will be able to make connections with fair trade producers in South Africa, which we hope will result in new products for Hiram's Olive Branch, fair trade store, which has recently been approved as a student run venture.
The Travel ( depart November 27, 2013 and return December 14, 2013)
- The itinerary includes 14 program days in S. Africa. The following are some examples of possible program content:
- Vuki Farming (fair trade producers)
- Bergendal Boerdery (Fair trade producers)
- Meeting with government officials about black economic empowerment policies
- Institute for Justice and Reconciliation
- Fair Trade Label South Africa
- Vicky's B&B (BEE business)
- Simonsig Winery (BEE project)
- Thandi Wines (BEE and fair trade project)
- Museums: Slave Lodge Museum, District 6 Museum, Mayebuye Archives, Robbins Island
- St. George Cathedral
- Service learning at a community-based organization (TBA)
Estimated Program Costs
Estimated cost is approximately $5,500 above tuition, room, and board. Costs include round-trip airfare Cleveland-South Africa, in-country transport, lodging, excursions, meals in South Africa, and visit to winery. This is the best current estimate and is subject to revision. Personal expenses, passport fees, and independent travel are not included.
A $75 non-refundable fee is due upon receipt of completed application. This fee is used to pay for processing costs, an International Student Identity Card, passport holder, and luggage tags.
Application Deadline is March 29, 2013