Financial Aid and Scholarships While Studying Abroad
The Hiram College Financial Aid Office also provides information about financial aid and scholarships while studying abroad. They can be reached at 330-569-5107.
You may complete an online application for Hiram College's International Study Abroad Scholarship. For fall trips, all completed applications should be submitted no later than February 24th. For spring trips, all completed applications should be submitted no later than September 23rd.
Additional Scholarship and Grant Sources
- Study Abroad Scholarship
- Study Abroad Financial Aid and Grants
- Financial Aid for Study Abroad: An Undergraduate Student's Resource
- NAFSA U.S. Study Abroad Scholarships and Grant List
- Education Abroad Network Scholarships
- All Abroad Scholarship Lists
- Gilman Scholarship Program
- Study Abroad Funding from the Institute of International Education
- Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan
- Graduate level scholarship at an UK institution for Americans
Be sure to research banking options
Opening a foreign bank account or researching U.S. banks' policies can pay off. Visa and MasterCard charge a 1% conversion fee on international transactions and most banks add a transaction fee on top of that. Depending on your card, you'll pay a total fee of 2% to 3% of your purchase each time you buy something.
Depending on the bank, the same international transaction fees could also apply to ATM withdrawals.
You can also apply for a bank loan and some online sites are also available:
Fundraising for your Study Abroad Trip
There are many options for students to raise money to help offset the costs of travelling abroad.
- Ask your friends and family for support through a GoFundMe.com account.
- Other Online Campaign Fundraising sites are also good, such as:
- Other ideas can be found at some of the following: