John Cabot University
Founded in 1972, John Cabot University bears the name of the Italian explorer and navigator who established links between Europe and America. Located in the historical Trastevere quarter near St. Peter's and the Vatican, the University is an independent, four-year institution of liberal arts and sciences offering an American undergraduate university education with a distinctive international character.Hiram College students may apply to study at John Cabot University through Brittany Jackson in Teachout Price, Office of Strategic Academic Initiatives. Such students will enroll directly in John Cabot and are entitled to a discounted tuition to the University. Hiram College will assist its students who apply to John Cabot in identifying and qualifying for non-institutional financial aid. Hiram students taking courses there receive credits for equivalent courses listed in Hiram's catalogue. John Cabot University degrees in Business Administration, Political Science, and International Affairs have been validated by the University of Wales, UK. Courses are available in art history, studio art, business administration, classical studies, communication, economics, English, history, Italian, mathematics, political science, and theatre.
Nestled in the gardens of the Academia dei Lincei, the University is buttressed by the Aurelian wall of the Roman Empire and is approached through the Porta Settimiana, built by Pope Alexander VI Borgia in 1498. In addition to the rich art, architecture, and history just beyond the JCU classroom, you also will find:
- An international enrollment with students from over 40 different countries.
- All courses (except advanced Italian language) are taught in English.
- The academic calendar follows the traditional U.S. university semester system.
- JCU offers a full four-year liberal arts curriculum each term.
- A variety of extra-curricular activities including theatre, debate, student government, intramural sports, and community volunteer programs. The University also organizes a wide variety of off-site events, including educational travel throughout Italy and Europe.
- Arrangements for housing in apartments are made for visiting students.
- You have the option to study for a semester or a full academic year.
- To apply, please download John Cabot's application.
- Housing form
- JCU's Website
- Course schedule
Hiram students interested in studying at John Cabot pay tuition, room, board, and all other fees directly to the vendors in Rome and/or John Cabot University. Hiram College students receive a 50% discount on John Cabot University tuition if they qualify and are accepted by John Cabot University.
- Fall: May 15
- Spring: October 15
- Summer I: April 1
- Summer II: May 1
Study Abroad Staff
For more information, contact:
Strategic Academic Initiatives
PO Box 67
Hiram, OH 44234