B.A., John Carroll University
M.A., University of Virginia
M.F.A., Bowling Green State University
Professor Ryan teaches painting, drawing and design, and serves as Gallery Director. Informed by his experiences living in Italy, Professor Ryan’s artwork reflects a fascination with the ancient and medieval mosaic and inlaid stone floors found throughout Italy. His paintings treat such floors as a kind of stage for human actions, where the debris and residue of contemporary life is juxtaposed with the narratives found in the ancient designs, patterns, and images, but also as metaphors for that which is trod upon, passed over, or disregarded. This combination of forms both old and new, sacred and profane, and public and personal, establishes new dialogues and unexpected relationships. Ryan has exhibited his work in solo and group shows in the U.S. and Italy, and most recently at the Canton Museum of Art, the University of Akron, and the Erie Art Museum.
Expertise: Realist painting. He has lived and studied art in Italy. Is a feature artist in Canton Art Museum exhibition.
John Carroll University, University Heights, Ohio. History/Art History minor, B.A. 1989.
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia. Modern European History, M.A. 1991.
Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Post Baccalaureate Certificate. 1999.
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio. Painting/Drawing, M.F.A. 2001.
Hiram College. Associate Professor of Art (tenured). 2009-2010.
Hiram College. Assistant Professor of Art. 2003-2009.
Hiram College. Gallery Director – Gelbke Fine Arts Center. 2003-2010.
Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. Co-Instructor – Graduate Program. 2001-2003.
Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. Coordinator – Two Year Diploma Program. 2002-2003.
Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. Instructor – Directed Independent Study . 2001-2003.
Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. Instructor – Painting (Beginning-Advanced). 2001-2003.
Bowling Green State University. Teaching Assistant – Drawing from Life. Spring 2001.
Bowling Green State University. Teaching Assistant – Beginning Painting. Fall 2000.
Studio Art Centers International, Italy. Teaching Assistant – Painting, Printmaking. 1999-2000.
Cuyahoga Community College. Part-time Instructor – History/Humanities. Spring 1991.
Related Professional Experience
- Juror for Member’s thematic exhibition, “Mosaic/Chimera,” Dayton Visual Arts Center, Dayton, Ohio. 2008.
- Juror for 43rd Annual Trumbull Art Gallery Juried Exhibition, Warren, Ohio. 2007.
- Juror for Regional Competition of Governor’s State Youth Art Competition, held at Crestwood High School, Mantua, Ohio. 2006-2007.
- Co-Juror for the Black Swamp Art Festival Fine Art Exhibition, Bowling Green, Ohio. 2005.
- Proficient in Digital Imaging using Abode Photoshop: experience with practical design and fine art applications. 2005.
- Juror for Annual Student Art Exhibition, Lakeland Community College, Kirtland, Ohio. 2005.
- Illustrations of Etruscan Archaeological Sites – Cetamura in Chianti, Italy. Accompanied dissertation by Charles Emory Ewell on Etruscan kiln design. 1999.
- Foreign Language / Travel Experience. Lived in Italy for four years, basic proficiency in Italian and French. 1998-2002.
- Artist Gallery Talk for Visual Narrative: Christian Arrecis, Mary Gaynier, Christopher Ryan, Olin Art Gallery, Washington & Jefferson College, Washington, Pennsylvania. Jan. 30, 2009.
- Artist Gallery talk at reception for Christopher Ryan: Paintings, solo exhibition, Dayton Visual Arts Center, Dayton, Ohio. December 18, 2008.
- “Loved to Death: Art Tourism and its Impact on Cultural Sites,” Sustainability Teach-In workshop, co-presented with Prof. Lisa Safford, Hiram College, September 11, 2008.
- “Ancient Mosaics & Contemporary Graffiti: Art, Mystery, and Desecration (& the Case of the Floating Hands),” Library Forum PowerPoint talk resulting from Gerstacker-Gund summer Research grant in Italy. March 19, 2008.
- Artist Gallery Talk to docents & staff, Canton Museum of Art, Canton, Ohio. 2007.
- “Crisis in Pompeii & Herculaneum: the case of the Villa dei Papiri.” Presentation to the Cenacolo Italiano di Cleveland, April 9, 2007.
- Panelist for “Life After SACI: How it changed my artwork, my career, my life.” Formal panel presentation with six panelists, including Dr. Allie Terry, Asst Professor of Art History (Italian Renaissance), BGSU. Fine Arts Center, Bowling Green State University, Ohio; October 14, 2006.
- Gallery Talk with art students and faculty in conjunction with Exhibition of Paintings, Myers School of Art, University of Akron, Ohio. 2006.
- “The Contents of Space and Finding Space for Content,” Artist Talk slide presentation to student body, Santa Reparata International School of Art, Florence, Italy. 2002.
- Artist’s Talk slide presentation to student body, Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. 2002.
- Slide Presentation of artwork to undergraduate advanced painting class, Bowling Green State University, Ohio. 2000.
- Monoprinting Demonstration given to Printmaking classes, Studio Art Centers International, Florence, Italy. 2000.
- Slide Lecture, “Dada, Surrealism, and the Trauma of War,” delivered to Modern European History class, John Carroll University, University Heights, Ohio. 1991.
- Presentation/Discussion of paintings to junior & senior art class, University School, Hunting Valley, Ohio. 1999.
Academic Honors and Awards
- Gerstacker-Gund Summer Research Grant for studies in Rome for course development and creation of artist book. 2009.
- Michael Starr Award, Hiram College, Ohio. Recognition of outstanding service and potential based on superior teaching ability, scholarly achievement , and the ability to make a lasting impact on the education of students beyond the classroom. 2008.
Martin Award for Excellence, Hiram College, Ohio, for outstanding service to the College including highly successful transference of Hiram’s art gallery to Gelbke [Fine Art Center], success in contributing to several notable exhibitions in the region, and valuable contributions to multiple campus committees –particularly the Study Abroad Board. 2008.
- Gerstacker-Gund Summer Research Grant for studies in digital imaging /digital video and new course development (interdisciplinary team-taught course: Comics as Art and Literature). 2008.
- Gerstacker-Gund Summer Research Grant for mosaic course at La Scuola Arte del Mosaico in Ravenna, Italy, and mosaics study in Rimini, Ravenna, and Venice, Italy. 2007.
- Martin Award for Excellence, Hiram College, Ohio, for outstanding service to the College including creative work and excellent service to both department and the college. 2006.
- Gerstacker-Gund Summer Research Grant for studies in electronic imaging, Hiram College, Ohio. 2005.
- 2nd Place Award, 21st Annual Northeast Ohio Regional Juried Painting Exhibition, CuyahogaValley Art Center, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio Juror: Dino Massaroni. 2005.
- Honorable Mention Award, ViewPoint 2004: 36th Annual and 9th National Juried Competition, Cincinnati Art Club, Cincinnati, Ohio Juror: Tom Zeit, Executive Editor of Artist’s Magazine. 2004.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship – Bowling Green State University, Ohio. 2000-2001.
- Jules Maidoff Scholarship – Studio Art Centers International – Florence, Italy. 1999-2000.
- Teaching Assistantship – Studio Art Centers International – Florence, Italy. 1999-2000.
- Partial Tuition Scholarship – Studio Art Centers International – Florence, Italy. 1998-1999.
- “Cemetery in Cross River, N.Y.” – photograph published in The Week in Review section of The New York Times, Sunday, October 30, 1994.
- “Two Intellectual Responses to the Dilemma of Political Engagement in Interwar France: André Breton and Pierre Drieu La Rochelle, Essays in History [University of Virginia] Vol. 33, 1990-91. http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/journals/EH/EH33/ryan33.html