Hiram College Study Abroad Refund Policy
Study Abroad programs require extensive, detailed advanced planning on part of faculty and the Study Abroad Office. Because commitments for flights, hotels, cooperating agencies and organizations are frequently done months in advance of the trip, it is essential that students be aware of the financial commitments when signing up for a program. Likewise, the College is sensitive to extenuating and unforeseen circumstances that arise in students' lives that could make it impossible for a student to meet the travel commitment. Thus, the College has established a policy whereby both the College and committed students incur the least financial penalty for change of plans. The attached policy was approved and effective as of June 1, 2005 and revised March 1, 2011.
Hiram College study abroad trips will be included on the initial billing for the semester in which the trip takes place.
The cost of the trip is to be paid in by the initial due date. Study Abroad trips are excluded from any payment plan.
Withdrawal from a Hiram College sponsored study abroad trips must follow the Study Abroad Withdrawal Policy, as well as change in course registration.
Refunds for withdrawal from a study abroad trip will be a percentage (%) of the amount charged for the trip. Costs incurred by the College, such as airfare, hotel, in country transportation and similar will reduce the amount refunded.
Any credit the student received from the College for room or board will be added back to the student's bill and payment is due by the next scheduled payment date.
Any refund will be applied directly to the student bill.
The % refunded will be on the following basis (the amount refunded after the % calculation will be reduced for any costs incurred by the College)
- 75% of the trip billed will be refunded if dropped by the1st Hiram College payment plan due date for the semester.
- 50% of the trip billed will be refunded if dropped by the 2nd Hiram College payment plan due date for the semester.
- 25% of the trip billed will be refunded if dropped by the 3rd Hiram College payment plan due date for the semester.
- 0% of the trip billed will be refunded if dropped after the 3rd Hiram College payment due date for the semester
- If a student fails to withdraw from a study abroad trip, there will be 0% refunded
- Once a study abroad trip departs, there will be 0% refunded for cancelled participation