You can arrange job shadowing with any professional you know. Ask family, professors, friends, or the Career Development staff for ideas.
What is the Career Connections Program?
The Career Connections Program is a job shadowing program sponsored by Hiram College. It provides you with the opportunity to observe the daily functions of Hiram College alum working within your career field of interest.
When does it take place?
The Career Connections Program takes place during spring break. You will probably shadow for one day; however, depending on the agreement with your assigned alum, you are welcome to shadow for a longer period of time.
What will I do during my job shadowing? You and the alum will decide in advance. You may...
- conduct an information interview about their career field
- observe their daily routine
- learn about different career options in your field of interest
- discuss trends and challenges in the field
- tour the workplace
- establish new networking connects
What are the requirements for taking part in this Program?
- Complete the Learning Agreement form with your alum. The agreement will be sent via e-mail when we inform you of your assigned alum. The agreement form must be completed BEFORE your shadowing experience.
- You are responsible for your own transportation.
What determines who I will shadow and where I will go?
The Career Development and Alumni Relations staff will try to create a match by contacting alums who work in the career field you request. The matching process usually takes place in January, and you will be informed of your match by February. Where you will go is contingent on the geographic location you request on your application.
*Application does not guarantee a match, but we will try our best!
What if I am no longer able to participate?
If for any reason you are unable to participate in the Career Connections Program and have already applied, please let us know as soon as possible. The Hiram alum who has volunteered their time needs to be contacted and made aware of the changes. It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes in your plans.
If you have any questions or concerns before or during your job shadowing, don't hesitate to contact Career Development.