Ryan Honomichl, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
University of Redlands, B. A.
University of California at Davis, M. S., Ph.D.
Office: Bates Hall 213
B.A., Psychology and Music, University of Redlands; Redlands, CA. May, 1996.
M.S., Child Development, University of California, Davis; Davis, CA. October, 2001.
Ph.D., Human Development, University of California, Davis; Davis, CA. September, 2007.
General Psychology, Experimental Methods and Statistics, Cognitive Psychology, Psychology of Childhood, Psychology of Adolescence and Early Adulthood.
Cognitive development in young children; analogical reasoning; problem solving and reasoning.
- Instructor, Department of Psychology and Human Development, UC Davis: - Cognitive Development (Summer 2005)
- Instructor, Department of Child Development, California State University, Sacramento - Cognitive Development (Spring, 2006)
- Instructor, Department of Psychology and Human Development, UC Davis: - Cognitive Development (Fall 2006)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Hiram College: - Class taught include: Introduction to Psychology, Money, Markets, & the Mind: Introduction to Behavioral Finance; Research Methods, Cognition and Perception, Adolescence, Early Childhood, Lifespan Development, and Cognitive Development.
- Grant Proposal Reviewer, Children and Families Commission of El Dorado County, March 2001. Duties: Reviewed and rated proposals for Proposition 10 funds (a proposition allocating cigarette tax revenue to programs benefiting children aged 0 to 5 and the parents of young children).
- Research Assistant, Evaluation, Management, Training, Associates (www.emt.org), January 2001-June 2001. Duties: Assisted in creation and management of database related to nationwide at-risk mentoring program (Project Youth Connect) funded by the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention.
- Research Analyst, Governor's Office of Criminal Justice Planning. (www.ocjp.ca.gov), June 2001-December 2002. Duties: Assisted in designing and implementing an evaluation of 43 state-funded child abuse treatment programs throughout California. Utilizing a series of outcome measures, such as the CBCL and the Trauma Symptom Checklist for Children. Also, prepared survey report for state legislature of sexual abuse prosecution practices of 39 counties in California.
- Consultant, California Children and Families Commission. June 2005-June 2007. Duties: Designing brochures describing developmentally appropriate activities for parents of young children.
- Consultant, Northern California Training Academy. May 2007-Present. Duties: Designing evaluations of social work training programs. Writing literature reviews on child welfare practice, institutional review board, tribal and rural issues in child welfare.
- Honomichl, R.D., Goodlin-Jones, B.L., Burnham, M.M., Gaylor, E.E., & Anders, T.F. (2002). Sleep patterns of children with pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 32, 553-561.
- Honomichl, R.D., Goodlin-Jones, B.L., Burnham, M.M., Hansen, R.L., & Anders, T.F. (2002). Secretin and sleep in children with autism. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 33, 107-123.
- Chen, Z., Mo, L., & Honomichl, R. (2004). Having the memory of an elephant: The long-term retrieval and use of analogues in problem solving. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 133, 415-433.
- Honomichl, R.D. & Chen, Z. (2006). Learning to align relations: The effects of feedback and self-explanation. Journal of Cognition and Development, 7, 527-550.
- Crone, E. A., Donohue, Honomichl, R. ,S. E., Wendelken, C. & Bunge. S. A. (2006). Brain regions mediating flexible rule use during development. Journal of Neuroscience, 26, 11239-11247.
- Chen, Z. & Honomichl, R.D. (2008). Discovery learning. in the Encyclopedia of Educational Psychology, ed. Neil Salkind. Sage Publication.
- Eveline A Crone E.A.; Wendelken, C.; van Leijenhorst, L.; Honomichl, R.D.; Christoff, K.; Ph.D.; Bunge, S.A. (2008). Neurocognitive development of relational reasoning. Developmental Science, 12, 55-66.
- Chen, Z., Mo, L., & Honomichl, R.D. (in press). Analogical Symbols: The Role of Visual Cues in Long-Term Transfer. Metaphor and Symbol.
- Honomichl, R.D., & Chen, Z. (in press). Relations as rules: The role of attention in the dimensional change card sort task. Developmental Psychology.