The Department of Music offers a number of new Music Entrance Scholarships, which are applicable to students entering in 2015-2016. Initial scholarships of $3,000 may be available to students who demonstrate both strong musical and academic skills and who wish to declare themselves as music majors upon entering Hiram. This initial scholarship, which is contingent upon successful admission to the college, may be augmented to a total of up to $10,000 depending on the results of a follow up audition in the spring. This award is renewable for up to four years.
Prospective students who wish to be considered for the Music Scholarship should forward the following materials:
- A one page letter outlining your musical interests and accomplishments to date, and explaining why you would like to be considered for a Music Entrance Scholarship. This may be accompanied by a C.V. if you wish.
- An unedited audio recording of a solo performance, or performance accompanied by a minimum number of instruments, 10-15 minutes in length.
- Two letters of recommendation attesting to musical and/or academic potential. At least one letter must be from a classroom music teacher or private music instructor.
Send materials to:
Department of Music
P.O. Box 67
Hiram, Ohio 44234
After reviewing these materials, we will be in touch with you as soon as possible with a decision regarding the scholarship.
Please contact the Music Office for further information
In addition to being in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward their degree, all scholarship recipients and music major are required to:
- Study with a Hiram College music faculty member.
- Participate responsibly each semester in one of the assigned ensembles.
- Perform on at least one student recital during the year.
- Attend concerts/recitals during each semester per the Music Major handbook.
- Perform a jury examination at the end of the academic year.