Ella W. Kirk
Professor of French, Chair
B.A., M.A., Ball State University
M.A., Ph.D., The Ohio State University
- Ph.D., Department of French and Italian, The Ohio State University, Columbus, March, 1992.
- M.A., French, The Ohio State University, 1985.
- M.A. program, Teaching English as a Second Language, Ball State University, 1982-83.
- B.A., French, Spanish, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana, 1981.
- L'Université Laval, Quebec, Canada, summer, 1981.
- Goethe Institut, Nancy, France, 1982. German courses.
- Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio, 1994. Japanese courses; 2006, Arabic courses
- World literature, literature by women, contemporary
- Francophone culture
- French Language
- Interdisciplinary endeavors
- Study abroad
- Great Books program
- 17th and 18th-century epistolary fiction
- Food and culture; history of French gastronomy
- Francophone African literature
- French cinema
- French Caribbean literature
- 2008-present, PROFESSOR, French, Foreign Language Department, Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio.
- 2007-2009, FACULTY CHAIR, Hiram College.
- 1998-2008, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, French, Foreign Language Department, Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio.
- 2003-present, CHAIR, Foreign Language Department, Hiram College
- 1997-2000, CHAIR, Foreign Language Department, Hiram College
- 1993-1998, ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, French, Foreign Language Department, Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio.
- 1995-2001, DIRECTOR, English as a Second Language Program, Hiram College, Hiram, Ohio.
- 1989-93, VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, French, Department of Modern Languages, Union College, Schenectady, New York.
- 1986-87, COORDINATOR for 1987 Humanities Symposium, "The Educated Citizen and the University of the Future." College of Humanities, The Ohio State University.
- 1982-83, TEACHER, Delaware County Association of Gifted Children, Muncie, Indiana. Beginning French.
- 1981-82, LECTURER, Department of English, Université de Nancy II, Nancy, France.
- COORDINATOR, Cucès-Université Nancy, France. Intensive English Weekend Workshops for French students.
- "Survey of Faculty Opinion About the University of the Future," co-authored with Richard Bjornson, The University of the Future: Problems and Prospects. Columbus: Center for Comparative Studies in the Humanities, The Ohio State University, 1990, p. 129-140.
- Reviews: Williams, Jessica. Teaching Writing in Second and Foreign Language Classrooms. New York: McGraw Hill, 2005. Modern Language Journal, Vol. 91 (Spring 2007) 136-137.
- Offord, Malcolm, Nicki Hatchcott, Sam Haigh, Laila Ibnlfassi, & Rosemary Chapman.(Eds.). Francophone Literatures: A Literary and Linguistic Companion. Modern Language Journal, Vol. 87, No. 1, 2003.