Assistant Professor of English
Director of Writing Across the Curriculum and the Writing Center
B.A., St. John's University
M.A., University of Alaska, Fairbanks
Ph.D., University of Iowa
- American Literature I
- American Noir Fiction
- Native American Novels
- Readings in American Literature: Mark Twain
- Teaching and Supervising Writing
- Basics of Creative Writing
- Playing Indian: America's Obsession with the American Indian
- American Literature
- Midwestern Literature
- Native American Literature
- Hard-Boiled Detective Fiction
- Material Culture in Literature
- Writing Center Theory and Practice
- "Middling Modernism and the Midwestern Literary Magazine." The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines, Volume 2: North America, 1880-1960. Oxford, Oxford UP, 2012: 558-575.
- "A Comparison of Online Feedback Requests by Non-Native English-Speaking and Native English-Speaking Writers" Co-authors Zin Lu and Carol Severino. Writing Center Journal (Fall 2008).
- "Tripping Over the Border: The American Wilderness Myth in Sinclair Lewis' Mantrap." The American Village in a Global Setting. Eds. Michael E. Connaughton and Suellen Rundquist. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007. 113-124.
- Martin E. Martin Award, 2011—Hiram College: For teaching and outstanding leadership contributions to the first year program and assessment activities
- The Michael Starr Award, 2009—Hiram College
- Frederick P.W. McDowell Dissertation Scholarship, 2005-06: English Department, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Midwestern Heritage Prize, 2003: Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature (SSML)
- Guest Editor for issue of Midwestern Miscellany on Ohio author Jim Tully
- Crafting the Canoe: Control of the Cultural Notion of Canoeing and Wilderness in Thoreau's Maine Woods.