The Chemistry Major assumes a knowledge of basic chemistry. For most persons this will be demonstrated by successful completion of the General Chemistry course sequence, 120-121. Those with inadequate high school preparation will be advised to take Chemistry 115 before attempting 120-121. Students scoring "5" on the AP Chemistry examination are deemed to have successfully completed the General Chemistry requirement. The department offers two majors, a basic chemistry major and an American Chemical Society (ACS) certified chemistry major.
The Basic Major:
- Organic Chemistry: CHEM 220 and 320
- Inorganic Chemistry: CHEM 230
- Analytical Chemistry: CHEM 240
- Physical Chemistry: CHEM 350
- Senior Seminar: CHEM 480
Elective: Students must take one additional 3 or 4 hour course from the 300 or 400 level
The American Chemical Society (ACS) Certified Chemistry Major requires additional coursework in the following:
- Physical Chemistry: CHEM 351
- Research Methods CHEM 482 or 483
- Biochemistry: BCHM 366,
- and a total of six hours of chemistry electives from the 300 or 400 level.
All Chemistry majors are also required to take Mathematics 198 and 199 and Physics 213 and 214 as correlative courses.