The Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature
The Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature views reading and writing as foundations of the liberal arts tradition, of lifelong learning, and of culture in all its forms.
According to a report published by the National Endowment for the Arts, "Literary reading strongly correlates to other forms of active civic participation. Literary readers are more likely than non-literary readers to perform volunteer and charity work, visit art museums, attend performing arts events, and attend sporting events." In addition, businesses and organizations of all types need employees with strong writing skills. In a complex world, there is real demand for the clarity of communication that the Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature encourages.
The Lindsay-Crane Center offers special opportunities that contribute to intellectual and artistic pleasure and growth for all Hiram College writers and readers. Visits from prominent authors, writing contests, and one of the oldest Writing Across the Curriculum programs in the nation provide students with numerous outlets for their creative endeavors. The Center is further committed to outreach to the wider community, inviting area residents to participate in visits by authors and extending its programming through partnerships with local institutions and events at schools and libraries. The Center also engages in interdisciplinary ventures with other departments and Centers.
The Lindsay-Crane Center for Writing and Literature is named for two poets with close ties to Northeast Ohio. Nicholas Vachel Lindsay attended Hiram College from 1897 to 1900. Best known for The Congo, Lindsay traveled the country on foot reciting his poetry. Harold Hart Crane was born in nearby Garrettsville. Crane's work includes The Bridge, a complex counterpoint to T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land and a celebration of American identity. The Center is based in neighboring buildings: the Writing House, a Queen Anne style house built in the 1890s, and Bonney Castle, which served as an inn in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.